Powered by Blogger.

Do You Still...

Wear a wristwatch?
 

I remember my first wristwatch. It was a Timex with a black leather band. I got it in seventh or eighth grade and wore it all through college. It was plain and very functional and I felt so grown up when my parents gave it to me. I saw a watch as the symbol that you had things to do and places to go and you wanted to be there on time. 

Not surprisingly as a woman who made my living keeping other people's schedules I always wear a watch. For a long time one of my dreams was to own a gold watch and I would window shop along Madison Avenue looking at the beautiful and ultra-expensive watches. As the years have gone by I've become less interested in expensive watches and am very happy with a simple tank watch with a brown leather band. The face is good sized and happily I can see the time without having to put on my glasses. Like my first watch it was a gift and I was very happy to receive it. I knew I would use it.  

I read an article last week that said that the wristwatch was on the list of things that were becoming extinct and that people were relying on their phones for the time. I don't think I will be one of those people. On the rare occasions when I forget my watch I look at my wrist at least fifty times during the day, even though both my computer and phone at work show the time. Do you still wear a watch or have you come to rely on your phone? Do you remember your first watch?

Though I am reasonably sure that I will keep wearing my watch, there is a part of tradition that I don't think I will participate in. The gold watch was always the traditional retirement present, but when I was asked what I might  like for a retirement gift an iPad came to mind immediately. I love my watch, but I also love my electronic toys.
Wishes for a sweet Thursday!   

14 comments

Shell said...

I wear a watch. But you HAVE to remember that until recently, I gave up a "Cell" Phone when I left corporate life.......

My watch is NOT a Rolex,,,,but a rather nice Bulova,,,,,surrounded by diamonds,,,,and I MUST say, THE Most comfortable watch I've ever worn.......And that is a rarity for MOI...I've always hated watches!

This one is a keeper,,,,,,,I think I paid about 500 bucks....but it's more the fact that it FEELS good. I don't need "more," more style, more status,,,,,,
"Tis Moi"

Shell

Ms Sparrow said...

I have never worn a watch. I got one as a graduation present from high school and found I had a metal allergy. I never wore it. I've spent my life relying on clocks, radios, the VCR or cable box and occasional strangers to get the time. Since I don't own a cell phone, I still live my life that way except now I rely on the computer for the time.

Terra said...

I have a watch I like that has a leather band, sporty looking but I don/t wear it. If I'm out I look at the time on my cell phone. I thought that too, that watches may disappear, but they will probably remain as fashion accessories.

Melissa said...

Some time after I had my children, I realized that whenever I put a watch on, it would stop within five minutes and never start up again. I tried replacing the batteries, but nothing. Just recently I've been able to wear them again without killing them! I only have two but I do wear them from time to time.

Mevely317 said...

Ahhh, my first was a "Swiss", ca. 1957. Like a photograph, I remember that gifting sooo well.

On the flip side, I can't recall just when I parted ways with wearing a watch.

Have to admit, I don't miss it, tho' I still occassionally indulge in the fantasy of winning the Lottery and purchasing a (an understated) Rolex. (Isn't that silly?)

Sheilagh said...

I had the same Timex as a child of eleven, I don't wear a watch now as they never keep time on me, something like Melissa:)

Hugs

Sheilagh
xxx

Marie Rayner said...

I am never without my watch when I am out and about. I feel naked without it. I can't possibly imagine that they would ever completely disappear! xxoo

Anonymous said...

Your post is timely for me. Last week, I looked inside my rarely used jewelry box and found my wristwatch given as a high school graduation present from my parents. I also have the wristwatch mother wore all her adult life.
I rarely wear a watch now that I stay at home but I treasure both of these.
Wishing you a nice day.

Lorraine said...

I rely on the clocks around me. At home I have one in every room. At work they're everywhere and the one in my car must be absolutely accurate so I get to work on time, pick up my daughter, etc. I don't have a cell phone, but I notice people use them to check the time often.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I own several watches but the day I retired from working many years, I put my watches away and haven't needed one yet. I do use the clocks here at home when I need to know that it's time to do something, but mostly I'm on my own slow time now and I do love it!
Hope your Thursday is a wonderful one!

TARYTERRE said...

ALWAYS have my watch on. I notice younger people rely on their cellphones for the time, though. Take care.

Theresa said...

Last thing I put on... jewelry includes wristwatch:) I use my phone for my calendar but still like to look at my watch!

Enjoy your day my friend, BIG HUGS!

Sybil said...

I love my watch...would never be seen without it..I look at it dozens of times a day...for no real reason I suppose !!!!Can remember my first watch so well it was a Timex as well. I've had various watches but never quite as exciting as that first one. I was reading just the other week about buying a watch as an investment ...but at a cost of over £1000 suppose that must be about $700 !! I would have to win the lottery so I will wait a long time....I don't do the lottery LOL

Melinda said...

I have gotten away from wearing a watch for a long time.
Working in places that have clocks all over has also played a part in that too.
My first watch waa a Cinderella watch then I had a Mickey Mouse watch, then a Minnie Mouse watch and then a Winnie the Pooh watch.
Now I have a red watch with a blingy face. I alos have a dress watch.

Melinda