Powered by Blogger.

The First Rule of Scheduling Is...


I spent the second night of Passover at my friend, Nancy's house, a guest at a seder for her family, who have become a second family to me. Nancy and I met in high school and we have remained very close. At the end of the evening I was saying good-bye to her sister-in-law, Marcia, and remarked that we would see each other again in Rochester next month, when Nancy's son graduates from college. Marcia replied, "Yes, I'm looking forward to May 19th." My jaw dropped a foot and I said, "But my airline tickets are for May 12th."

Yes, my friends, I had booked tickets for the wrong date. The graduation ceremonies for the last two years, which I also had attended, were the second weekend in May and I just assumed this one would be, too. I was an eager beaver and booked my tickets in January. I was so pleased with my efficiency and the low cost of my ticket. I sent the email record of my ticket to Nancy so that the rest of our group could book the same flights. They looked at the flights, but not the date.

As a little background to this story, I spent over five years of my professional life being responsible for the schedules for two well-known and very busy people. The first thing I learned on the first day of my scheduling career was to know the date. The second rule of scheduling is to confirm the date. I did confirm the date, but unfortunately it was three months after I bought my ticket.

Happily, the same flights were available for May 19th and the price...almost exactly what I had gotten as my windfall. Thank you windfall. Rochester, here I come, after all!

10 comments

Ms Sparrow said...

I bet that was a heart-stopping moment! I'm glad it worked out for you.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

So happy that it worked out and you are now ready to go!

Jemi Fraser said...

Yikes! What a heart stopping moment! Glad you got it all worked out :)

HennHouse said...

Oh, my! What a scare! So glad it all worked out!

Sheilagh said...

So glad you are still going to be there. I have had a similar but not as big realisation this morning. I have invited my daughter and son in law round on Saturday to watch the semi final of the FA cup, they cannot get it on their tv. I only realised this morning I am booked on a craft workshop at the same time... It is not a problem, they can still come round, but I will miss it:(

Told you it was not as big as yours..lol

Love n hugs

Sheilagh
xxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully you found out sooner than later! Glad you got the tickets. I have a hard time keeping up with the dates of everyones important occasions, with my large family there are many of them, it seems I start each day looking at the calendar. Hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

So happy honey you got that problem fixed. I was suppose to fly to Portland ME tomorrow with my daughter but because of my brothers surgery we canceled and they want us to pay 150.00 to change our flights and that's a 150 for each of us. I told them I thought that was high. lol
I guess they hear that a lot.
Hope your enjoying your week
Love
Maggie

Melinda said...

Well, thak goodnes you were able to get the flight changed without too much trouble!

Yea!

melinda

Susie said...

Wow, that was close..Thank goodness you were mentioning the graduation. So nice you have had your friend since school. Smiles, Susie

Theresa said...

WOW, I am happy that you were able to get tickets for the CORRECT date:) We ALL make a mistake now and then! Have a blessed evening dear friend, HUGS!