Powered by Blogger.

Imagine: Remembering John Lennon

 

Remembering John Lennon, on what would 
have been his eightieth birthday 

It seems light years ago, but just a little over a year ago I spent a glorious three weeks exploring England, Ireland and Scotland. One of my fondest memories of the trip was spending time with my blog buddies, Ralph and Sheilagh in Liverpool. Another great memory of the time spent in England was visiting the Museum of Liverpool and seeing a wonderful special exhibit about John Lennon's life.

In this year where mortality seems to so close to every thought I didn't expect to be so sad thinking about how short John Lennon's life was. This year that he would have turned eighty is also the year that we remember the fortieth anniversary of his death at forty in December, 1980. His life was taken too soon and so senselessly. 

I know this isn't the usual post for Buttercupland, but it seems remembering John Lennon has opened the gates of sadness that I've, for the most part, held back throughout the long dark months of 2020. I will return to my more usual upbeat posts tomorrow, but tonight my thoughts are bittersweet, of great music and a life cut way too short. 

Museum of Liverpool

The photo at the top of the post is from the exhibit I saw at the museum, Imagine Peace, the sign for which you can see in the museum window. There were hundreds of little post-its surrounding John's photograph left by visitors to the exhibit. I know one of them was mine, though I have no memory of what I wrote. If I had the opportunity to write a post-it now I think my message would be just a few words.

Thanks, John Lennon. Miss you and love you still.

If you were writing a note of remembrance, what would you write? 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Prayers for our friends in Louisiana. 

6 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Thanks John, for your great talent and making my teenage years more bearable. This is so touching, seeing all these post-its surrounding him. I think it is something he would have loved. Like J.F.K., I remember everything about where I was when he was shot.

Edna B said...

What a lovely memorium post. Visiting England, Scotland and Ireland is a trip that I would love to take. I'm so glad that you were able to go and enjoy it. Hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

few of us could ever forget John . His music was a big part of my life. Good you got to see England. Looking forward to happier post, not so bittersweet. But memories can be like that so often.

Nellie said...

I remember hearing the news about John; unbelievable! We are the same age, and I thought then how sad it was that he had been shot!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Dear John, I have never stopped imagining, and your beautiful words will touch my heart and inspire me for all of my days.

Deb J. in Utah said...

He was a great talent. Thanks for this tribute! Also, thanks for the notebooks! They arrived today and I am so excited to have these fun notebooks to journal in. Thank you!