Powered by Blogger.

Happy Birtday, Mom

 

Mom and a very squirmy Buttercup, winter of 1951

Today is what would have been my mother's 106th birthday. She's been gone over thirty years, but rarely a day goes by that I don't think of something I'd like to tell her. Maybe it's a television show I think she would like or time spent with a friend that she knew. Maybe we would be discussing something I saw on the news or a book that I am reading. 

My mother died a decade before computers became a regular part of our lives, but it would have been great to send photos to her and do video chats. But even without computers we found ways to keep in close touch and the phone and the postal service were our connections. I know she would have taken to technology and I'm sure she would have a treasured and well used Kindle next to her knitting on the coffee table.

As I've done so many times in the last thirty years, thanks again, Mom. Thanks for teaching me to cook and bake from scratch. Thanks for making sure I wore my retainers and went to Hebrew School, even when I was not very willing. In the last year I am especially grateful that my mother encouraged me to learn how to keep busy and enjoy my own company. One day when I was about eight or nine during summer vacation I complained that I was bored. To my mother, who was never bored, this was a violation of the Eleventh Commandment, Thou Shalt not be Bored. She gave me the choice of dusting or weeding the lawn. I never complained that I was bored again.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I had a great walk in Central Park yesterday and there will pictures to come during the week. What have you enjoyed this weekend?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

13 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think of my Mom a lot as well. The photo is so nice! I think we really never get over losing our moms. We did a bit of shopping yesterday and got some new flavors of K-Cups. Peppermint Mocha; they are good!

Sandi said...

A wonderful tribute.

Susie said...

Buttercup, Funny how your mother cured you from being bored. My own mom has been gone 14 years. I miss her all the time. I think the sharp pain of loss can ease, but that deep longing in our hearts for our parents never goes away. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

Beautiful, Carol! This resounds; thank you for touching my heart.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a sweet and very loving remembrance of your late mother and it is obvious how much you miss her. My mother would have celebrated her 98th birthday last month and I miss her as well.

Billie Jo said...

Beautiful post and an even more beautiful photo honoring your mother.
Have a lovely week.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That was a lovely tribute to your mom. She sounds like a really good mother. I miss my mom too - she would have been 100 this year and has been gone 22 years this month. Have a good week. Thanks again for the notebooks. I am always excited to fill a fresh, clean notebook. :-)

Edna B said...

What wonderful memories of your Mom. My Mom would have turned 100 this month. Your Mom was very wise in how she used that eleventh commandment. It gave me quite a chuckle. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Louca por porcelana said...

Adorable tribute!Greetings!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Birthday to your mother. What a wonderful tribute to someone to have taught you how to keep busy. Al good memories for sure !

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Our moms are never gone; they stay forever in our thoughts and sweet memories. That was lovely to read, dear Carol.

Nellie said...

Great memories of your mother, Carol! Mine is with me everyday, and she has been gone 37 years! She would have been 112 on September 23. I don’t think she was ever bored, either!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Lovely photo and memories of your mother, Carol. My mother never mastered the computer but we lived close to each other--my house in Brooklyn was 7 houses away from where I grew up. We will always miss our dear Moms. ((( Hugs)))