Powered by Blogger.

We'll Meet Again

Farewell, Dame Vera Lynn

On March 22 Buttercupland celebrated Dame Vera Lynn's 103rd birthday and today we celebrate her beautiful life. I was idly scrolling through news updates on my phone this morning and saw the sad news that the "Sweetheart of the Troops," Dame Vera Lynn had passed away. 

My parents played music of their era often when I was growing up and that included songs sung by Dame Vera. Their favorites included Frank Sinatra, Patti Page and Nat King Cole, as well as a host of others I still enjoy on YouTube. But Dame Vera's passing today may be the end of an era for the icons of my parents' decades, which makes it especially poignant. Thank you, Dame Vera, for hope, inspiration and beautiful music. 

I'll be back tomorrow with either Random Four or Five Friday, depending on how many adventures I can find. We've got a lovely (almost) summer day today and I'm just about to go back outside -- with mask and hand sanitizer for a quick walk before I settle in for the evening. How did you spend your day today?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and stay well. 

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

A sad passing for a generation. Thanks for letting us know. My mom's favorite was Perry Como.

TARYTERRE said...

synchronicity. my hubby and i just had Alexa play her songs. she had a beautiful voice and a loving spirit that helped keep hope alive for millions of people. may she rest in peace.

Dorothy In PA said...

I spent my day trying to find things online for my doll diorama. I am a collector. It is slow going but it is making my doll very happy (laugh).

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know of her - but she sounds like she was a WONDERFUL woman! sandie

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

A sadness came over me when I heard of her passing. I remember my mom singing that song often as she went about her day.

Lynda said...

I did not know of her. However, like you, I heard a lot of singers because my mom played them on the record player. Beautiful voice and we can understand what she is saying!!!!
We had the grandsons here yesterday. They are now 8 and 5. It took some energy but it was so fun, too. It's enjoyable to be able to converse with them almost like adults now. They crack us up with some of the stuff they say.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So sad - the passing of the "Greatest Generation." Stay well and have a good weekend.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

May she rip. Sso sad an era ending, but yess we hope to all meet again tomorrow. Keep the faith and tomorrow willl be better. It's been beautiful here too and today is yard work for me. Very good thereapy for whatever might get me down.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for reminding me that it was on your blog, BC, that I read about Vera Lynn a while back. When I learned of her passing, I watched several online videos and listened to her famous signature song.

Lowcarb team member said...

I always enjoyed seeing her and hearing her … she always came across as such a lovely person.
Her songs will live on …
May she RIP.

All the best Jan