Powered by Blogger.

Who's on Your Top Ten List?


Meeting one of my top ten, Amy Tan, author of The Joy Luck Club at 
BookExpo America, 2017 

Without many of the usual activities and details of life, I've had a lot of time to think. One of the things I've been thinking about is my 70th birthday next month. I had a lot of plans and none of them are feasible anymore. But that's past and I'm thinking of things that are feasible. 

My mind drifted to getting mail -- one of my favorite pastimes these days -- from people I admire. That led me to thinking about who are the famous people I do admire. I know that a lot of elected officials send out birthday greetings and then I thought of someone I've admired for decades. She's not an elected official, nor specifically a head of state, Queen Elizabeth II.

Thanks to the ease of the internet I googled "letter from Queen Elizabeth" and a website appeared. I was pleased to see that her Majesty's office does send greetings for anniversaries and birthdays. But I found in the small print that anniversary greetings are on hold during this time. They are still sending birthday letters, but I didn't meet the qualifications of being 100 and living in a Commonwealth country. 

I did find two other people I would like to hear from on my birthday and sent out email requests with personal notes. I also noted that both Presidents Carter and Bush request letters with stamps. I know that slowed me down and I imagine it slows down many other requests, too, and keeps the volume more manageable.   

I realize this will be a lot slower process than simply sending out emails. I may end up sending out only three or four letters and But I'm enjoying thinking about people I've admired and reaching out to them. I'm not positive about getting responses, but when/if I do I will be sure and share them. 

If you were putting together a list of the well known people that you admire, who would be on your list?

I will be doing a separate post on my ice cream adventure. In a nut shell, I've learned that there's a reason almost everyone I know buys ice cream. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and be well.   

6 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love Amy Tan's books! Let us know if you receive any replies from your letters. I am trying to think who I admire that I would like a greeting from. My brain has frozen! Uh-oh, sounds like your ice-cream adventure did not go too well.

Dorothy In PA said...

This is an interesting "assignment." If you were to ask who from history I would like to meet, I would say: Jane Austen and Dorothy Parker.

The women I admire today include:
Rachel Maddow
Meghan Markle
Michelle Obama
Gloria Steinem
Oprah Winfrey
Queen Elizabeth

I cannot eat ice cream (sad face) but if you post about cake choices, I vote for traditional wedding cake (white cake, white icing). It's my favorite!

Laurel Wood said...

Oh how fun to receive birthday greetings from people you admire. I'll have to give that some thought.

Star said...

I love that book, the joy luck club!! I read it a long time ago & when the movie came out I saw it a few times

Biomaster said...

I had the pleasure of being in the same room with Amy Tan at a book discussion shortly before I got to lead a book discussion of one of her books, not The Joy Luck Club. I've read lots of her books. Looking forward to hearing about the ice cream adventure.

Theresa said...

I will have to give that some thoughts, so many come to mind. Enjoy the days leading up to your big B'day. I think you deserve a big party, social distancing of course! HUGS!