Powered by Blogger.

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Dame Vera Lynn


Last Friday, Dame Vera Lynn, the "Forces Sweetheart," turned 103 years old. Americans may not be very familiar with Vera Lynn, but everyone in England who remembers World War II knows Dame Vera Lynn. Her singing inspired England throughout the darkest days of the war and she became the Forces Sweetheart with her wartime visits to Egypt, India and Burma. 

I was reminded of her last summer during my cruise in the UK. There Will Always Be an England the White Cliffs of Dover were part of our evening entertainment. But I first learned of her from records -- remember them? -- that my parents often played. We'll Meet Again and A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square were two of their favorites that she performed. A Nightingale Sang... is still one of my favorites and I also discovered her version of Land of Hope and Glory. 

My elementary school graduated to Land of Hope and Glory and I still am moved when I listen to it.  I rediscovered it on YouTube in the last week and I've now been playing it almost every day. I grew up on this music that inspired people during the those difficult times, so it's no surprise that I turn to it now, in our own difficult times. Are you turning to music now as well? If you are, what are some of the songs that have brightened your days?

Besides learning to use Zoom, my major activity is cooking. Even without a working stove I'm eating well. Last night I made a black bean stew in the crockpot. Dinner tonight was baked chicken, garlic roasted carrots -- no concern about too much garlic -- and broccoli "tots" from Birdseye, all done in the air fryer. My biggest project was oatmeal peanut butter cookies also made in the air fryer. I let them bake too long, but I was very pleased for a first try.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourself. Much love and wash your hands.  

13 comments

Terra said...

I enjoyed the song link. Be well and of good cheer Buttercup.

Sybil said...

Thank you dear Carol for these lovely memories.....and the news of your cooking expertise!
,keep walking and keep safe, sending lots of love from a nice sunny Box...

Carol said...

I know of whom you write about as I have studied her for some reason at some time in school. I think you should share your recipes for the cookies in the air fryer.

Lynda said...

Good menu at your house!
I believe we have saved money on groceries and eating out - - even though we don't do that as often as we once did. Our menus have been restaurant-worthy, also.

R's Rue said...

❤️

Theresa said...

I am cooking too, it's what I think about 1st thing in the morning... what's for dinner. Keep on doing what you're doing and we will get thru this together. HUGS!

Karen said...

THANKS FOR YOUR UPLIFTING POSTS. PRAYING FOR THE PEOPLE OF NYC.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I read about her on another bloggers post yesterday and had never heard of her before. What a great lady she was. Good to be reminded what others do in hard times to keep spirits u[. I could easily do without my stove too, a lot of what I cook is in the slower cooker, but I don't have an air fryer.They sound great.

Linda said...

I’d not heard of her either! 103!
I’m always glad to see a post and know you are okay. Our town has 5 cases of Covid-19.....
Cooking and using what we have and making do epreminds me of the WWII slogans. We haven’t been called on to do that much in our lifetimes. I need to research and see what those slogans said. I remember Rosie the Riveter! She actually died 3 weeks ago at 95....
Stay in and stay safe!
Love and prayers from Texas!

Melinda said...

Love music. We have it on now.
I heart radio 70's station. But
we listen to a lot of genres.

With the Stay Home order in place, I am cooking more.
We can go out for drive-through and pick up too.

Such a strange time now but we are plugging along.

Take care!!

M :)

Lowcarb team member said...

103years old … that is wonderful.

Stay safe and well and keep busy … it does help in these un-certain times.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for posting this introduction (for me) to Dame Vera and I am listening now as I write this comment. We are also cooking at home, but then we did so most days, except when on the road. You are doing quite well with the crockpot and air fryer as those meals sound wonderfully delicious. yes, we are washing our hands.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow! That's a ripe old age. Is she still singing? Love the song.