Powered by Blogger.

Random Five Friday



It turns out that there's more than enough for Random Five Friday. Despite the fact that I haven't gotten farther than places I can easily walk in three months, there's still lots going on. Once again, and I see this very clearly, I've found that when I stop longing for things I don't have and am grateful for what I do have, life has many good moments.  The world is still spinning at a wild pace and more than once a day I need to stop and get off the worry wheel, but that acknowledged, life is okay in Buttercupland. 

Let's begin our Random Five Friday, while it's still Friday. 

1) The West Side Community Garden is still closed, as pictured above... 

2) ...But both of the local fruit vendors have returned to nearby corners. 
 This photo inspires a visit to buy a few mangoes tomorrow

3) The Pen Pal project is underway, and my mail box and I say thank you. I've looked on several blogs and can't find an email, so please be on the lookout for a comment about getting in touch. I sent a post card to a friend's four year old granddaughter,  who made the sweetest video thank you. Definitely one of the moments of sweetness in my life today. 

4) I spent today learning about Juneteenth, which commemorates June 19, 1865 when the federal orders of Emancipation were read in Galveston, Texas, which announced that all enslaved peoples in Texas were free.   

5) New York City will enter Phase Two on Monday. I don't think this will change a lot of my routine, but it does permit me to start thinking about extending my activities. I still haven't taken a bus or subway ride, but if the rate of infection stays low I'm looking forward to a bus trip sometime soon. Dental offices have been open for a few weeks for regular checkups, but I've held off making an appointment. Yesterday I decided that it was time and I made a dentist appointment for  July. It was as exciting as anything I've done in the last three months. Hair salons are part of Phase Three, as yet unscheduled. I've learned to live with lots of gray -- more than I thought I had -- but I would love a haircut. 

 A lobby selfie, complete with mask. My hair has gotten longish and I've been wearing a pony tail when I go out.  

That's my life in a nutshell. What are some of your randoms? I've been taking pictures around the neighborhood in anticipation of this week's Pink Saturday, so I hope you'll stop back to see this week's post.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. Much love and stay well.   

12 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I always think ponytails are so cute. The fruit stand looks wonderful. Abundant and fresh. Maybe one day you can show us the community garden.

TARYTERRE said...

love those mangoes. thinking i'm going to have to get some too. the selfie looks great. you look very nice. love the shoes and that skirt is very pretty. wearing my hair in a ponytail is the only way i roll these days. stay safe.

Laurel Wood said...

You look great! I am so happy your fruit vendors are back. I am looking forward to Pink Saturday.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think we are all waiting a bit before going out to see how it goes. I've been for a hair cut and a party and cook out at my daughters house but heavy not been out shopping as they continue to deliver it to my door. I'm really not ready to go out on my own. Thankfully I have a safe place to go for walks here in my community. Yes, there is a lot to be thankful for. That''s what we have to look for rather than complain about what we don't have. Happy Summer.

Linda said...

The fruit vender place looks great!
Texas has really high numbers and a cousin who is a nurse posts on Facebook some things from her hospital that let's us know we can't become too placid about things. I try to do what shopping I need when we are down here in the country. Safer here than at home.
I am grateful I had a haircut and pedicure! But they didn't cut hair or nails short enough and now I need another one!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

We just recently entered Phase two here and I was overjoyed to finally be able to get a haircut. It was a little tricky with the mask, but I feel so much better now. It's the little things, LOL.
P.S. Those mangoes look so good.

Chatty Crone said...

You look great!
Hey hair was opened here in Phase 1. I guess every state is different.
I love my card from Central Park.
I would love to go there someday.
Love, sandie

Dorothy In PA said...

Our county here in PA is now green but I am still not venturing out much. I do find myself reaching out to friends via the phone and email.

Yes, Juneteenth is cause for celebration. It falls between January 1865 when Congress passed the 13th Amendment which ended slavery in every part of America and December 1865 when the Amendment was ratified.

I wear a ponytail now also. I think they are highly underrated (laugh). Gidget wore one.

I don't have a blog so I will be looking for your email information post.

Karen said...

I'M WEARING A PONYTAIL TOO. THANKFUL FOR A NICE PLACE TO WALK. HOPING THINGS WILL BE ABLE TO OPEN UP FOR YOU IN NYC.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for reminding us that what we now consider the "little things" are the most important things right now. We also have been staying close to home, and sitting by the river in late afternoons or early evenings has become a daily habit. Many more places are opening with restrictions here. We have been fortunate to get haircuts in the past weeks. I had a short cut and will do that again in a couple of weeks because longish hair is not to my liking and neither is the going gray, so I did an at home re-color and it wasn't hard at all.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos you post. Rainy day here. I left my email address before but have not had email from you. Hope to hear from you in order to trade addresses. Darlene. Email billanddar@ gmail.com others are welcome to contact me. I've had post card and letter pals for long long years

Lowcarb team member said...

So good to see our fruit vendors back.
I am looking forward to having my hair cut when hairdressers are allowed to open …

All the best Jan