Powered by Blogger.

I (Didn't) Feel the Earth Move Under my Feet

 




Actually, I neither felt nor heard the New York/New Jersey earthquake of April 2024. By the time I discovered that the fourth largest earthquake of recent times in this area had occurred I was comfortably seated in a neighborhood coffee shop with an iced coffee in front of me. While my friend was getting her coffee order I looked at my phone and saw that one of my neighborhood Facebook groups was asking "What was that?" By the time my friend returned with her latte the news that an earthquake had taken place was flashing on everyone's phones. We looked at each in complete disbelief. Somehow an earthquake had happened while we were walking up West 89th Street and we had completely missed it. It was all over except for the news coverage and the aftershocks at 6 P.M. I also missed the aftershocks tonight and only found about them via the news.  

My only other earthquake experience took place in August, 2011 and fortunately there's a blog post to jog my memory. I vividly remember sitting at my desk and feeling my desk chair move from side to side. Our office power went down, which shorted out our phone system and it was a big mess. So while, the 2011 event was memorable, this episode is a lot less memorable. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing a lot of what I planned to do, which included a walk with Betsy and pup, a visit to the gym and a trip to Target. 

I come away from Earthquake 2024 with a renewed appreciation and respect for tectonic plates and a big thanks to friends who reached out from across the world. I've heard from a number of my New Jersey friends, who are closer to the epicenter and thankfully, there are no accounts of any damage. Hoping that it stays that way!

As ever, thanks for visiting and stay safe. 


4 comments

Brenda said...

My granddaughter texted me asap…she knew when I heard I would be worried. Yes…her place shook. Glad you are all ok. Brenda

Jeanie said...

I wondered about you -- glad all was well!

Lynda said...

Verym very thankful it was only felt by some and not destructive!!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My brother who lives in NJ, my home state, told me about the quake but said he did not feel anything and added that nothing had fallen off the shelves in his home. Glad you were safe as well, Carol.