Powered by Blogger.

I'm Not Marie Kondo...


(A section of) My "new" linen closet 
 

...But for the last few weeks, I've tried to look at my belongings as though I am Marie Kondo. Has it been a complete success? No, it hasn't, but my newly reorganized linen closet gives me a lot of joy. Out of this one relatively small closet I've sorted out four bags of worn and faded towels, dish cloths and cloth napkins for donation and cloth recycling. Four bags! I've also "found" at least half a dozen framed pictures that need to go to new homes, a project I'll be working on in the next month.  


Among the many treasures I discovered were several packages of pillow cases -- saving me from buying pillow cases that I thought I needed -- and a fabulous framed photograph of my mother as a baby, circa 1914. After I cleared out my mother's apartment in Connecticut it was one of the things I moved to New York. I wasn't sure where to hang it and it sat in the closet for thirty years. It's really lovely and I think I've found a spot in the bedroom  to display and enjoy it. 


As the song goes, "Ain't she sweet?"

In the years before I was born, my mother worked in the houseware section of G. Fox & Co., Hartford's leading department store. There she had access to every home trend that was popular in the late 1940's including the numerous monogrammed bath mats and towels that were part of my closet trove. She also collected cloth napkin sets, because I have at least a dozen sets in a big bag of cloth napkins that came as a complete surprise to me. They're lovely but anything needing bleaching and ironing aren't part of my life these days. If anyone is a collector or just would enjoy a set, please let me know. I'm happy to send at least one set to friends in Buttercupland. 


Some of my vintage luncheon set "collection"
 and an afghan my mother made at just about the same time. 

In the interest of transparency and lest anyone think that I could fold and arrange sheets and towels so expertly, my gift to myself is help to accomplish my decluttering goal. I saw an advertisement on one of our local neighbor groups that a friend of a friend was doing closet organization. I've now got two closets organized, as well as holiday decorations, craft supplies and on my own I went through one of my clothes closets -- skirt hangers were multiplying like bunnies -- and am now working on paper files. 

I'm feeling very good about this and it's one of the best gifts I've given myself in a long time. There's still lots to do -- the kitchen cabinets, the front closet and a lot more paper -- but it's a wonderful feeling. 

On a different note, the air has cleared in New York City and with copious amounts of artificial tears my eyes are back to where they were, before last week's air quality disaster. I'm hoping the same for everyone else in Buttercupland that was affected. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy decluttering!


12 comments

Anonymous said...

I would be thrilled to receive one of the vintage luncheon napkin sets from your collection. I do love vintage linen, and I have a small collection of vintage dishes. I always look forward to your posts - thank you. Jan H.

Anonymous said...

How thoughtful of you to offer a set of napkins to a reader. It would be an honor to have and use such a set. I enjoy using vintage table linens , especially when our family visits. The four grandchildren need to experience a connection to bygone days and enjoy hearing stories of the greatest generation. I would pass along history of how your mother obtained these treasures.

ZiZi Warmoth said...

For some reason, my comment published as Anonymous.
ZiZi

Anonymous said...

One of my summer break projects is organize the kitchen. I think I need more than a professional organizer. I’m at the “we need a young priest and an old priest” stage.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Like yourself, I too will never be as organized as Ms Kondo, but that doesn’t mean I have not also tried to organize better. Kudos to you, Carol, for working on your closets and making headway as well. The vintage linens are indeed lovely and it is generous of you to offer them to anyone interested.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Carol, I also struggle with organization and this summer we are moving to an old home with small closets. You inspire me to declutter and find a way to make everything work. That old picture of your mom is a real treasure. So glad that the NYC has cleared up. Where I live in Utah, we have often been impacted with smoke from wildfires in California so I know how difficult that can be. I hope you are having a good week!

Jeanie said...

Well, i am impressed and (somewhat) motivated. Marie Kondo drives me crazy but I love how she folds clothes. And she does inspire organization -- so do you. This week is my neighbhood yard sale and I've been digging into my linen closet (basement, other closets, cupboards). If you look at the HOUSE (the visible part) you can't tell I've done a thing but if you open the doors and drawers... much improved. I, too, am bidding farewell to MANY cloth napkins and probably should let go of more but there's only so much time. Maybe today I'll dig into more of them. I promised that anything that didn't sell was getting donated somewhere. Getting it together -- it never stops. Well done!

Lynda said...

I am thrilled with you to have found the friend of a friend to help with the organization. Also you deserve a big "Pat on the back" for the progress you have made! Life seems less stressful and more relaxing when there is a place for everything and everything in its place. Please continue to keep us updated because it is encouraging motivation for us!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Great job on clearing out your closet. It does look very organized! Its hard sometimes to get rid of things especially ones you got from your mother. I'm with you I don't bleach or iron anymore either. Everything is wash and wear. The only creases I have in my slacks come from hanging on a hanger in the closet. It is very rewarding to get rid of things you no longer use., I have table clothes with matching napkins that could be given away too. Keep up with the good work.. We're cleared our air here too and no longer have air advisiory Alerts. But it has turned cooller and I'm glad I hadn't yet put away all my sweaters.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Forgot to add, Carol, that finding that early photos of your mother was a wonderful discovery. It is such a treasure.

Marcia said...

We are cloth napkin folks in this house. I'd love a set of your napkins. Your linen closet looks very neat. Non linen closet in this small old house so I use a lift top chest to store sheets and blankets and downstairs use a drawer in the guestroom bureau for towels and sheets for guest room and bath. It works.

Theresa said...

You inspire me to go thru my linen closet. I have SO many things that I don't use and haven't in years. Having someone else handle that sounds wonderful to me. It is nice to hear that your air has cleared, it looked terrible for a while up there. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!