Powered by Blogger.

From My Family to Yours


 

Two of my all-time favorite photographs. On the left is a photograph of my grandfather, great uncle Stanley and great uncle Pierre. They were three of nine siblings from Belarus, but these three were in Paris in 1909 when this photograph was taken. They were in their early twenties and had this very formal photograph made to send back to their family. In just a few years the entire family would immigrate to America, including my great aunt Suzanne, who Uncle Stanley met during their time in Paris. My  grandfather returned to Belarus and met my grandmother and in 1914, just before the start of World War I, they sailed to New York. My father was born in Manhattan in 1917.

On the right is my father and me, Baby Buttercup, all smiles with Daddy. 

I never met Uncle Stanley or Uncle Pierre and my grandfather died when I was four. My father died in 1981, so I have now lived more of my life without him than with him.  There are so many questions I would love to ask, but, alas, that will not be.  I'm profoundly grateful to all of them and all of the extended family who left all they knew, traveled across Europe and courageously crossed an ocean. Their courage and fortitude are gifts beyond measure.  I'm thankful today and every day for those who came before. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and every happy wish, dear friends in Buttercupland. 

3 comments

Marcia said...

Great photos and the back story too!

Latane Barton said...

I love your sparkling eyes. You may not have had your Dad as long as you wished but I never had mine at all... he was killed by lightning just before I was born. The older I get, the more I think about him and wish I'd had him with me.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wonderful photos and a very interesting family story.
Lovely picture of you and your dad. Your smile is priceless, and your dad looks so proud of you.❤️