Powered by Blogger.

Time Will Not Dim the Glory of Their Deeds

 

Remembering those who served and didn't come home
May their memories be for a blessing
Memorial Day, 2023



My trip to England and France had many memorable experiences, but one that will stay with me is my visit to the Cambridge American Cemetery. The United States government, as well as the Commonwealth, have cemeteries throughout the world for its fallen soldiers. I'd already visited the Commonwealth Cemetery in Ranville, Normandy on this trip and was grateful to visit this cemetery, as well. There are 3,800 who are buried here and over 5,000 names on the Wall of the Fallen -- on the right of the photograph above -- whose remains were not found. These include the bandleader, Glenn Miller, whose flight went MIA in December, 1944.   


The Wall of the Fallen

I chatted with the staff at the Memorial when I was there and learned that there were over 75,000 visitors last year. The spouses, parents and siblings of the fallen have now made way to the children and grandchildren who come to pay their respect. I also chatted with a family from Texas that was searching the Coast Guard section for one of their relatives. I didn't know them, but we were bound in remembrance. 

I was fortunate to drive here with friends, but it's an easy public bus ride from Cambridge. The site is wheelchair accessible and there is a moving and detailed Memorial Museum. It's definitely a site worth visiting if you are in the Cambridge area. 

It's been a good weekend, spending time out of doors and happily, with friends. I hope your time has been spent as enjoyably. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a blessed day.  

7 comments

NanaDiana said...

I can't imagine how touching it must be to visit those gravesites for those that fell in battle outside the USA. I saw the Vietnam Memorial and it was overwhelming. God bless those that have gone before us. xo Diana

Debby said...

Thank you for being one of the few who actually put some thought into a Memorial Day post.

One of my dreams would be to go to Europe and travel from Normandy to Berlin. To see with my own eyes what is left - and those cemeteries that give a visual that we don't see so much anymore here in the states.


Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Carol. It's so important to remember with honor and gratitude all of the brave men and women who made and keep us free. We must be Americans worthy of their sacrifice. Have a good week.

Terra said...

This is a beautiful post, that must be a memorable place to visit. So many have given everything for us.

Theresa said...

Beautiful post. I am thankful for all who served our Country and gave it all. Sending hugs your way.

Linda said...

What a beautiful and perfect post for Memorial Day!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a nice post for Memorial Day. I'm honoring and remembering our fallen everywhere! Thanks for sharing!