Powered by Blogger.

There Is Nothing Like a Scone

 

Always a good day to celebrate a scone

To add to the long list of days we've celebrated in Buttercupland -- Days for dogs and equal time for cats, bagels, coffee, beach day and even rubber ducky day, today it's time to celebrate the scone. A scone, for those who have missed the pleasure, are traditional to British baking. They're slightly sweet, have baking powder and are finished with an egg wash glaze.  When served, as they are above, with clotted cream and jam, the treat is described as cream tea. Traditionally, a pot of tea should be served with one's scone.

I'm a scone fan and the scone pictured above stands out as the my all-time favorite scone ever. One, it was delicious, and two, it was my birthday celebration in 2018. I was visiting blog friends in England and we visited the lovely town of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the Cotswalds. The scone itself was perfectly baked and served with lots of clotted cream, made in the nearby areas of Cornwall and Devon, and just enough jam for that extra touch of sweetness. Perfection!

I never thought of myself as a scone fan, but my experience in Bourton-on-the Water made me a scone fan. I've gotten quite selective about my scone choices and have found several I've tried not close to the quality I found in England. Anyone else in Buttercupland a scone fan? What's your choice for a birthday celebration? Do you stay with the tried and true birthday cake, or do you go wild with a pie -- lemon meringue or cherry for me -- or even wilder with a scone and jam?

It's taken almost a month, but I'm back in my regular (post-vacation routine). I'm back to my usual gym schedule, there's lots of food in the refrigerator and I'm sleeping as well as I normally do at home, with no more jet lag. I'm also crossing things off my "to-do" list and though it never grows shorter, there are new items daily. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and enjoy a scone.  
 

4 comments

Mevely317 said...

I've never tasted a scone! ...But it's going on the list!
Now I'm curious which fascinator you chose. I love hats, but can't picture myself wearing anything that dainty.

Jeanie said...

I love a scone. And try as I may -- and I've tried a lot of recipes -- I've never made one that could hold a candle to those I had in the UK. Isn't Bourton-on-the-Water a pretty town? I wasn't there very long but I'd love to return. I love the Cotswolds!

Theresa said...

YUM, I'll take one please:) SWEET deliciousness! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes to scones, which I have made at home but without adding the clotted cream. Nice to read that life is returning to normal after your travels…until the next adventure.