Powered by Blogger.

Where the Glacier Meets the Sky



The first time I went to Iceland was 2014. I spent two days there on a cruise and loved it, but I had no expectations that I would return there. I went back with friends in 2017 and spent four days there. I saw some of the same sights, but added new ones and had a wonderful trip. Again, I had no expectation that I would return. I was eager to see places I'd never been before. 


In February 2020 before the world shut down I was at the New York Time travel show and got into a discussion about Greenland. It piqued my interest, but it seemed that only expedition ships went there, or alternatively one could fly from Copenhagen (Greenland is part of Denmark). It seemed expensive and cumbersome and I tucked it away. By March 2020 I wasn't going any where and I tucked travel away, too. 


But this winter I started to think about traveling again and saw that a few of the major cruise lines were going to Greenland and the ships were leaving from either Brooklyn or New Jersey. I loved the idea of not having to fly anywhere to begin a trip, as well as being on a big ship and, I hope, avoiding the worst of seasickness. I did a little research and made a call or two and in a moment of impetuousness booked a trip to Canada, Greenland and Iceland. 


I've been to Canada many times and my last trip was exactly three years ago. I'm always happy to return. Greenland will be a new experience and in Iceland I will be visiting two northern ports -- amazing waterfalls -- for the first time as well as a return to Reykjavik. I'm looking forward to whales, puffins and mineral baths. I'm also on volcano watch as there is major volcanic activity near Reykjavik. I promise not to go hiking in the area. It seems an issue that people who are not prepared for rugged hiking are trying to get close to the lava fields. I say live and let live and I will keep away from any lava. 


I'm hoping to do blog posts, but in case of  Blogger issues, it may not be possible. Please be on the lookout for Instagram posts and probably too many Facebook  photos, but they are so quick and easy to do with a phone. 


As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

7 comments

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That sounds so exciting. Have a wonderful trip.
How do I find you on FB or Instagram so I can send you a friend request and see the pictures?

Anonymous said...

I can’t wait to see your photos! Have the best time and be safe

Little Wandering Wren said...

Sounds like an amazing trip, I can't wait to hear all about it especially as I'd love to visit Iceland. Have a lovely trip and catch up soon!
Wren x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've never been on a cruise of any kind. It sounds like a wonderful retreat from the heat. Enjoy !

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I'm back again, looking for a link to your Facebook or Instagram, but am only seeing a link to Pinterest. I would just go to FB and look you up, but I only know your first name.😞

Theresa said...

I am looking forward to your trip! Enjoy and stay safe! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome trip you are on. We would love to do that sometime. I will follow you on Facebook all of the way! Have a great time. Betsy