Powered by Blogger.

Will I Or Won't I?


I will definitely be wearing shoes (with toes) very shortly. That's not the question.

The question posed in the title is whether or not I will achieve my goal of walking 1,000 miles this year. I had my doubts for awhile in the summer when it felt too hot to get in much walking. It still feels like summer -- almost 80 today in the middle of October -- but I easily managed the 2.8 miles I need daily to stay on track. 

Last year my total number of miles was 919, which wasn't bad for everything that went on in 2020. But I made a commitment that this year would be different. The winter months were tough, with more snow and cold than the past few years. I spent a lot of January and February walking circles in my teeny apartment and pacing the building halls. I may have looked a little quirky, but I kept my mileage up and walked out a lot of anxiety. 

As I get in to the final stretch I've been keeping really good track of my miles. I don't want to get overconfident (one lesson I've learned in the last eighteen months), but if all goes well I will walk a thousand miles this year. Including today, my total is 788 miles. There are 77 days left in 2021 and I need an average of 2.75 miles a day, every day. It will take steady commitment and I know there are days when I won't make that number, but I know from experience there are other days when I will exceed it. Here's to the next 212 miles!

It helped that I took part in two charity walks in the last two weeks. One benefited the American Heart Association of Eastern Connecticut and my participation was part of a great birthday weekend celebration for my friend, Miriam. Her terrific daughter organized the weekend and a fabulous time was had by all who participated. So glad I could join the fun and walk for this cause.


Our team -- including a college friend and one of my first cousins, who both live in the area. So enjoyed spending time with both of them.  

My second walk of the month was for a great local organization, Caring Kind, which offers support for caregivers and families of people with dementia in Manhattan. It was my sixth walk with the group and so happy that this year was in-person again and in Central Park. The weather wasn't as dazzling as the week before, but there was  a big turn-out and the park was beautiful. 

The amazing David Hyde Pierce once again joined the walk and 
provided terrific encouragement. 

This has been a busy week, but not an especially photographic week. I'll be back later in the weekend for Pink Saturday fun, and we'll be returning to a place I loved in Vermont. Please join me there. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a sweet Saturday. 

7 comments

Terra said...

Carol that is so good of you to participate in two fund raising walks, and you are on target to meet your goal. As Nancy Sinatra sang "These boots are made for walkin." My phone counts my steps and miles, about 2 miles a day, with my dog Bounce.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I am completely amazed and impressed! However did you start this? How do you know how many miles you've walked?

I really should start walking. I've had four surgeries and covid in the last 11 months. It's been a rough year. Time to try to rebuild health!

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How nice to get to do those walks for charity! I'm hoping you meet your goal. We have 117 hikes so far this year and I'm wondering what our total for the year will be. It's been interesting! Happy weekend!

Mevely317 said...

Looking great, Carol!
Yep, my money's on you making it all the way. You did put a big smile on my face, talking about walking your apartment and the hallways. Whatever it takes, right?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Ir sounds to mis as though you've got this. I'm sure you'll be able to make your 1,000 miles. I admire your ability to be able to walk like that as I cannot do it myself anymore. It used to be one of my favorite pastimes but my arthritis limits me in what I can do these days.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love that you walk so much! Hubby and I walk 2-4 miles today and I also like to hike. I don't know if I have walk 1,000 miles this year, but I have probably easily got up to 800 miles. I would sure participate in a charity walk if I found out about one. Thanks for being a great example. See you again soon!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yeah to you, Carol, on setting an annual walking goal. I smiled when I read that you walked around your apt and hallways to get steps in, as I have done the same. Thankfully, the mill apt where we live not only has long halls, but also 5 floors of them. Good luck to you on making that goal this year or even beating it.