Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Visits Monet and Manet

Pink Saturday visits with Monet and Manet, and what a beautiful visit it was. 

When I finished my post last night I was sure I didn't have one worthwhile photograph for a Pink Saturday post over the weekend from the week past. It was very busy, but very little in the way of photographs. Some of the business was because of the visit from a long-time friend, here from California for a wedding. I did some extra grocery shopping, laundry and straightening up, which was all necessary, but not very photogenic. We decided to pick one activity for today and spend the afternoon in one of my favorite places anywhere, the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Sharon's art of choice for the day was the Impressionist Galleries and I started snapping photos the minute I walked into the museum. I have enough material for two (or three or more) posts, but decided to focus on two of my favorite painters, Claude Monet and Edouard Manet. 

Monet's Regatta at Sainte-Addresse, 1867

Many people are most familiar with Monet's paintings of water lilies, and though I am in awe of them, my favorite painting by Monet is the painting that opens this post, Garden at Sainte-Addresse, where Monet spent the summer of 1867. I never fail to be both calmed and awed by the beauty of this seascape. When viewed at the Museum both of the paintings have ornate gold frames, but I had trouble getting them even and chose to crop the frames out for this post. Please note that I kept Monet's signature on both.

Manet's Boating (1874)

These three paintings hang in the same gallery at the Museum. When I've visited in the past I've only had eyes for the Monet paintings, but today my attention went to the Manet, and I truly saw it for the first time. The two painters were friends in life and though Monet went on to far greater acclaim, he also outlived Manet by forty-three years. I can only dream at the works Manet might have created if he had been given the gift of longer years. 

My traveling for this year is just about over, though there are still a few weekends away to come. One of the things I've planned for November and December is water color lessons at a local senior center. I painted in high school art classes, but haven't picked up a brush in over fifty years. I have no expectations, but am hoping for an interesting and enjoyable experience. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a sweet Sunday.  

11 comments

Louca por porcelana said...

Great pictures. Happy Pink Saturday.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have not seen any of these paintings. It is so good they let you take photos there!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Thank you, Buttercup, for visiting my blog over at Closed Doors, Open Windows. I always love to meet new people and make new friends, so here I am...and I love these paintings. Yes, the first one is my favorite too, but I see what you mean about the Manet picture...very talented. I would LOVE to take a painting class sometime. I never learned to paint, but I used to do a lot of drawing back, like you over 50 years ago. But I am more into photography now...that has a more instant gratification with no mess...and I am sure much better than anything I could paint, but still...there is that little bug in me that would at least like to try my hand at dabbling in it. Be sure to share your paintings with us when you get them completed. I will be anxious to see what you accomplish in a few lessons. That will be encouraging! Take care and have a blessed Sunday as well.

Latane Barton said...

I'm so jealous. Monet is one of my favorites and Manet isn't far behind. And, to go to the Metropolitan. Oh geez. You enjoy and keep sharing with us all.

Edna B said...

These paintings are beautiful. I agree about Manet. The expression on the man's face (sitting in the boat) is so real. Do share your paintings. I'd love to see them. I can't paint a lick but I do love it. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Theresa said...

Beautiful! Water color lessons, that sounds like SO much fun. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Such beautiful paintings, and you've captured them well.
I did not know that Monet and Manet knew each other. Learned something new today.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Such wonderful timeless paintings. They make you feel like you just walked in to the scene of it all. So glad you are able to share them with us. Have fun at the painting class. You'll be amazed at what you can do.

Jeanie said...

These are two of my fave Impressionists (Monet a little bit more) and so of course I loved this post. I cannot seem to paint water well and I especially love how well and how evocatively they do that. Big smiles!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The two artists you choose to highlight and share in this post did paint images that evoke such imagery. Good luck on your own future painting, Carol, and hope you will highlight any of yours in future posts.

Sue said...

Beautiful paintings, Wishing you great success with your art lessons,
Blessings,
Sue