Powered by Blogger.

The Buttercupland Department of Public Health Joins a Pink Saturday Message

 

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month 

I've been meaning to do a Pink Saturday post for Breast Cancer Awareness all month, but it didn't get on the schedule earlier in the month. But last week I was walking on Broadway, just a few blocks from home, and there like a sign from the heavens, was this pink truck with the logo for Breast Cancer Awareness. 

While October is the month designated to draw attention to a disease that one out of eight American women will be diagnosed with, it's not just a one month a year concern. In the midst of everything that has been going on in the last year and a half it's been easy to put off regular screenings, but if you are due for a mammogram or other screening (or overdue) the Buttercupland Department of Public Health strongly encourages you to make an appointment. And, yes, I practice what I preach, and I'm scheduled for next month. 

While breast cancer is much more prevalent in women, it is a disease that can also affect men. I'm passing along tips from the National Breast Cancer Foundation that will improve chances of staying cancer free. The Foundation recommends monthly self-exams; no smoking and third, more exercise. The last two recommendations are good advice for staying healthy in every way. 

I'm back from a wonderful weekend in Bucks County, PA. The weather was great and while it wasn't the most colorful autumn, there were still some lovely foliage. I discovered a fabulous ice cream shop -- post to come! -- did a quick trip to Bird in Hand, PA and got a start on holiday shopping. It was busy, fun and a wonderful change of scenery. The week ahead is quieter, but I'll use it to catch up on a dozen (at least) projects around the apartment and in Blogland. What are your plans this week?

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a great autumn week.   

8 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, our health is so important. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you had a nice trip to PA. Enjoy a quiet week ahead. See you again soon!

GrammaH said...

I checked that off my list several months back..yay! Our daughter lives in New Holland, PA. Beautiful country!
GrammaHuber

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank you. That's a good reminder for all of us.

Chatty Crone said...

I still have my bear from you for when I had my cancer surgery - I love it and love the pink truck!

Marcia said...

We had a full weekend here with friends from MD visiting for 4 nights. Trees are almost all leafless here though in other spots there is still color. I must start that holiday shopping soon.

Edna B said...

That's a great pink truck. A good message for everyone. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Louca por porcelana said...

Awesome pink truck!Greetings!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a good reminder for all women, Carol, and how timely that pink was and very unusual too. We were also in Bird in Hand, PA, this past Sept for a hot air balloon festival.