Powered by Blogger.

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas: Amsterdam Avenue

 

Today was the perfect day to see signs of Christmas in New York City. I had a great walk through the neighborhood. I enjoyed lunch out of doors with my college friend and neighbor at one of our favorite places, stopped in a local independent bookstore to buy a Chanukah present, dropped in at the bank and ended my time out of doors redeeming a free beverage coupon at Dunkin Donuts. In times past this would have been a very run of the mill day, but in 2020 I savor all of the interactions. Nothing is taken for granted these days, whether it's the walls in my apartment, baking in my oven (soon!) or having lunch with a friend. 

Stopped to enjoy the Christmas window at Magpie...


...and the plush window at West Side Kids, a wonderful local toy store.


Our lunch spot reminded me that Chanukah begins a week from tonight, with an announcement for sufganiyot, the traditional jelly donuts that are part of the Chanukah celebration. This year's Chanukah celebration will be via Zoom. We've done the traditional name drawing and I'll be mailing my gift tomorrow. I've been a little slack in getting going with my wrapping and mailing, but knowing we're "getting together" next week, I've got to get wrapping. 

On a different note, Pep's car has arrived. It's a lot bigger than I expected, but that means there is room for Pep and at least one friend. It was very gently used -- I don't think there were any crashes in its history -- and looks like new. I think Pep is going to be a very happy monkey.   

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and enjoy the season.

17 comments

Olde Dame Holly said...

It's funny, but I have to keep a tape measure handy by my computer. I measure out, with the tape, any dimensions given for anything I'm thinking of buying. Otherwise, I'm lost. I don't know why I can't correctly visualize dimensions without the help of that tape. I can in a store, especially when it is tiled in square-foot tiles, but at home on the monitor? No! Thank you for sharing those pictures. Those wreaths at top are so lovely. I'd even love the frame they are hanging on, for a patio with live plants during summer!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Happy Chanukah! I love seeing the holiday season in NYC. Hope you get your gas meter installed very soon.

Janie Junebug said...

I love the wreaths, too. Thanks always and forever for sharing your beautiful photos.

Love,
Janie

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never heard of this special kind of donut, they look delicious! What a nice day you had! I love window shopping in New York, the lazy way!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Thank you for taking us along on this charming walk down Amsterdam Avenue.

Deb in Wales

Theresa said...

Oh the beauty in your City, I wish I could visit! As I always say, maybe next year. Those donuts make my mouth water:) Enjoy your day dear friend, tell Pepe that I would perhaps fit in that big car:) HUGS!

Susie said...

Carol, I saw on Jeopardy that jelly donuts were part of Chanukah. So nice you had an outdoor lunch with a friend. Enjoy the sunny days. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you are still able to get out and about easily. The snow has slowed us down here. and it's not warm enough to sit outdoors and eat. We were blessed to do that on Thanksgiving but our weather has changed for the worst. I do love jelly donuts and will be celebrating with a few of my own. Take care and keep safe.

Edna B said...

Now I'm wanting a donut! I think Pep will love his car. What an awesome gift! In the toy store window, what is that interesting thing sitting next to the teddy bear on the top shelf? I think I like it! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Karen said...

Seeing all of your photos of NYC is such a treat. I'm without an oven until next week. I guess it's not long in comparison to what you are going through, and I still have the stove. But it sure hampers menu planning:/

Jeanie said...

The fa la la has begun! And it's looking lovely. There will be a whole lot of zooming going on this month.

acorn hollow said...

It sounds like a perfectly lovely day! those donuts look so good.
Cathy

Nellie said...

Loved this walk down Amsterdam Avenue! You had a really nice outing! We are still under our self-imposed isolation here since March 12! Waiting for that vaccine!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Loved the pictures, What seems like eons ago, my daughter had a summer job at Orwashers, and they would send goodies home with her at the end of the day,which we all looked forward to sharing.

peggy said...

I would love to go to Magpie's. And...are we getting a picture of the new car?

NanaDiana said...

Happy Chanukah! I hope your season is filled with love and blessings and good health. Stay Safe!!!! xo Diana

Linda said...

Umm...does Pep have a drivers license? (lolol his concerned distant cousin George would like to know, smiles)

Happy Chanukah! Oh and I love Sufganiyot's. smiles