Powered by Blogger.

Thanksgiving Memories, Then and Now

 

Meeting the Doughboy, up close and personal, with ten
 thousand of my new best friends, 2018.  

In 2018 I got to live out one of my fantasies and attend the viewing of the balloons for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was a long and tedious process to walk and stop for at least an hour through designated lines on the Upper West Side. Once a viewer entered the line, there was no leaving unless a medical issue arose and permission to leave was given by one of the hundreds of police officers keeping order. It was very orderly, but (almost) too much standing in my pre hip surgery state. More than once I was tempted to drop out, but I'm so glad I didn't. It was well worth the standing and waiting. 

Loved the Aflac duck and the light up heart...

...and the adorable Sinclair Dino

So enjoyed meeting a Paw Patrol friend...

...
...who very graciously posed for a selfie with me. 

Sweet memories of Thanksgiving past and thankfully, I made sweet memories this Thanksgiving. There was a wonderful turkey and trimmings, thanks to my dear friend of long-standing, Anita. The weather cooperated and we had a great walk to one of my favorite places (yes, there will be pictures) and there was pie, an extraordinary cranberry pie, which will become part of Thanksgiving future. It was absolutely delicious. And because it's 2020, there was a Zoom. Today, as in year's past, I spent time looking at the windows of New York City decorated for Christmas and ended the day with a turkey sandwich. I hope you have sweet memories for this year to hold in your heart, too. 

 I varied my walking route this year and enjoyed the sixty degree weather while walking on Madison Avenue. I discovered a new store that had some of the most beautiful holiday decorations I've ever seen and they were all in pink. The windows will be my feature for this week's Pink Saturday. I'll include pictures of details, just in case anyone is feeling inspired. I hope you'll stop by. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great weekend! 
 

13 comments

Olde Dame Holly said...

I have never heard of cranberry pie. I love raisin pie, and I like cranberries more than raisins, so it sounds like a keeper indeed. Thank you for sharing the balloon pictures! Maybe next year we will all be mingling again...

Ginny Hartzler said...

So how did this viewing come about? Did they charge you? My favorite is the Aflek duck as well. Cannot WAIT to see the pink windows!!!

Linda said...

Can't wait to see your Saturday Windows post, smiles. Hope you have a lovely day, friend.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What a wonderful day out! I miss seeing the parade.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That would be a sight to see for sure. I can no longer take walking of standing on my feet without the help of my walker so I wouldn't fair well in a situation like that. So glad to see your memories of happier times though. We need to hang on to the good ones and make some new ones too. We will be lucky to see 50 degrees here so you are definitely warmer there. Still we'll be outside all day and will have a fire to sit by and keep warm.

Marcia said...

We watched the "parade" this year on TV. Fortunately we'd taped it so we could bypass the commercials. There was as much time on those as on the parade. Actually the parade was very disappointing especially since we had a front curb seat one year to see it my brother and his kids.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great experience you had in 2018 to see those balloons up close and personal! That is so neat. So glad you had a great Thanksgiving with your friend. Ours was simple and low-key and very relaxing and enjoyable. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Karen said...

How exciting to see the balloons up close! The parade was very different this year, but kudos to those who worked hard to keep the tradition up.

Sandi said...

I love the little dinosaur! Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. 🙂

Ruthie Rey B said...

Love! My all time favorite parade. My fave a from few years ago Hello Kitty in her Plane.

Edna B said...

How wonderful to see these marvelous balloons up close. They really are quite magical. I had a great day with lots of delicious food which I shared with Pogo. And then we napped! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Pam said...

To be able to see all the Holiday wonders of NYC! I can't even imagine! Thanks for sharing your up close tour of the Thanksgiving balloons!

Grace & Peace,
Pam

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

WOW, I was so jealous seeing the photos of the parade that I had hoped to see one day, but now, who knows? Thanks for sharing the photos of what looked like a fun day even if it did mean a lot of standing. At least the weather looked cooperative. Glad your present day Thanksgiving worked out well with friends.