Powered by Blogger.

Random Five Friday

 

Greetings from Columbus Avenue! It's Random Five Friday. 

It's still Friday, at least for a few hours, and it's time to catch up on the odds and ends of the week. It's certainly not my pre-Covid life, and I still have downs amid the ups, but I'm really enjoying being outdoors and walking and bus riding beyond my immediate neighborhood. 

1) My trips this week have included two visits to my favorite post office branch with eBay sales. I found these hearts on a construction wall on my post office excursion this morning. I followed my visit with a trip across town to Target and picked up groceries. This may be my favorite picture of the week. 

2) When I retired seven years ago my retirement gift from my colleagues was a generous cash gift that I used for an iPad. Late last summer it stopped working and even the Apple store couldn't get it going again. I decided to see if I really needed to replace it and held off getting another one. In January I realized I did want one and decided to wait until after No-Spending January was done. My plan was to visit the Apple Store and see the different models when I got back from Sedona at the end of February. At the end of February a million other things took precedence and I was fine with my computer and my phone -- for awhile. 

  My iPad and beautiful case from CAM Creations

I bought my self a new iPad for my 70th birthday and then I couldn't resist treating myself to this quilted case from CAM Creations. Everything is handmade by Carolyn, the mother of my dear friend Melissa, and the work is terrific. There is a wonderful array of fabric and they are able to custom size any book sleeve or cover for electronic devices. 

3) Hurricane Iasias spent three hours in New York City, but had a big impact. There were lots of trees down and there are parts of the city still without power four days later. Connecticut had more damage and my cousins outside of Hartford don't expect to get their power restored until Tuesday. A huge thank you to the electrical crews who have come from other parts of the country to help out the Northeast. 
Caution tape is never a good sign and very sad around trees.
 After the storm, Tuesday afternoon, in Riverside Park. 


4) Happy to see that more places are opening up again and the streets are livelier. This was my most recent find on Broadway, across the street from Lincoln Center.

5) I had planned to write about Year of Wonders, by Geraldine Brooks on Wednesday. I had also planned to finish (re)reading it by then, too. I didn't finish it until last night and though it took longer than anticipated, it was time well spent. I'm planning to begin an occasional Wednesday feature, Words for Wednesday, where I write about books. My first Words for Wednesday will be this week with my thoughts on Year of Wonders. Sneak preview: It's an extraordinary choice for this moment in the universe. 

There's one more post for this week and it's the Pink Saturday post. What are your plans for the weekend? Do you still feel as though there is a weekend? 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and keep cool!

10 comments

Chatty Crone said...

I am so glad that you bought yourself a new Ipad and case - you love the internet and friends. I think that is great!

Dorothy In PA said...

It is great that you could be out and about.

I am looking forward to your Saturday posting.

My Tata's Cottage said...

It s good to get new things when our old ones get tired. Enjoy your travels as far as they take you. Have a great weekend. HUGS across the miles XO

I amhere too annesphamily.blogspot.com

Ruthie Rey B said...

Missing home (always consider NY my home even after 20 years in Florida) and just love reading about city excursions and most of all seeing your pictures.

Mevely317 said...

When you care enough to send the Very Best ... you gift yourself! *smile*
So glad you weren't personally impacted by the storm. Hugs!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello and Happy Saturday. I love your new ipad case. So glad that the hurricane has moved on. Sad about all the tree damage. I always enjoy your posts and seeing what is going on in NYC and your world. Have a good weekend.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My days all seem to run together these days, but this weekend is one of sons birthday, so it will seem like a weekend for a change as many of my family will be gathering together to celebrate ! It's not very often I get something to do on my calendar anymore. I've seen the news and how so many are without power. We never truly appreciate something until we no longer have it. Praying for the safety of all affected.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That sure was a powerful storm. It skipped us this time but caused so much damage on the East coast! Hope you have a good day. Love seeing your photos today. It's nice to see the stores you see near you. Not much open here. Hugs, Diane

Edna B said...

My whole week is a weekend. It just takes a little longer to go by than it used to with only two days. I'm not complaining though. As long as I keep waking up in the morning, I'll keep on hanging in there. I'm so glad that you get out and about now and then. Enjoy your ipad and that lovely new case. You have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Edna B.

Nellie said...

I love seeing pictures around NYC! There is Jjill, and we have that here! A new iPad is a good thing! I have a new one, too, along with a manual keyboard that serves as the case. I aim at making Saturdays and Sundays a little different, thus giving the feeling of a weekend. Of course, most of my efforts at that are in the kitchen! Who needs more food during these days?!?!? Take care, be safe, and stay well!