Powered by Blogger.

Live from New York: Tropical Storm Isaias


My view of Broadway at noon

I didn't quite make it outside "first thing" this morning to pick up the few groceries that I didn't buy yesterday. But I did make it out second thing. When I went out it was only raining and on my three block walk to my favorite bagel store, my sturdy umbrella only blew out once. The rain was mild and it wasn't especially windy and I enjoyed my iced coffee under the scaffolding. I knew the predictions were serious, but it really seemed that the winds and heavy rain were holding off. I made the decision to finish my iced coffee outside and then head home. Somewhere towards the bottom of the glass, the heavens opened up. I wasn't afraid of the rain, but I was concerned about tree branches. I waited a few more minutes and decided it was time to head home. 

I listened to the weather report when I got home -- sneakers soaked -- and discovered New York City is under a tornado watch and there is a more serious tornado warning for Connecticut. The report is also for high winds, up to 70 miles per hour possibly, but I could see that as I came home. I'm now tucked into my apartment with my indoors to-do list. Nowhere to go, and as my blog buddy Edna, wrote in her post this morning, this storm is a "doozy."

I've got both my iPad and my phone charging and I've located my flashlight, which is working. I've also got food that doesn't need refrigeration or cooking ready just in case we lose power. It's not likely, but the weather report included power loss up the Eastern Sea Coast and it's always better to be prepared. 

This was the scene in the street when I left
  for my errands this morning...

This was the scene when I returned half an hour later -- lots of rain 

It's a perfect afternoon to bake, but alas, that will have to wait until I get my oven back. Instead I will be blog visiting, sorting books and reading. I'm rediscovering a favorite novel and I will be sharing it with you in tomorrow's post. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and stay safe! 

13 comments

Sybil said...

Take care lovely Carol, not only from the storm but from the coronavirus...not a time to be out and about...Good job you have plenty books to read...what would we do without a book in our hand. Xxx

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad the storm wasn't any worse. An afternoon of cozy reading indoors sounds just right! See you again soon.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I am a reader too and when the weather isnt decent, you will find me with a book in my hands. Glad the weather wasnt as bad as they thought it would be and that you are safe.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Yes, it was a doozy. Isaias came in strong, did her damage and thankfully, after about six hours, she left town. It will take a while to clean up after here. Glad you got home before the worst came.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I sure hope you keep your electricity! You are very well prepared, though! I like seeing the streets of New York, wet though they may be.

Dorothy In PA said...

I am glad that you came home safely and were snug at home. It sounds like you are prepared for the storm. I hope that it blew through quickly in your area.

Theresa said...

Oh that storm was a rough one. I watched on the Weather Channel as it traveled North. I am thankful you are safe! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Edna B said...

I'm so glad to know that you were able to get out and back home before the storm hit got worse. When it got to my area, it sort of sneezed at us and took off to harass someone else. Just a few miles away though things were worse. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That storm has caused a lot of damage all along the coastline, glad you are safe in settled in for the duration. Lots of rain here too but it did clear for awhile yesterday afternoon so I got out for some exercise. Hope you too can get out soon and the storms blows away.

Nellie said...

Happy to hear you are safe and hope you’ve kept electricity!

Debby said...

I can't wait for the rain here - our rainy season starts in November. I love rainy days.

Latane Barton said...

Glad that you made it home safely. My daughter sent a video from her backyard in Rye, NY and the wind and rain was awful. I didn't have any damage but 2 tornadoes hit downtown (I live about a mile, mile and a half from the damage). Can't wait to see which book you are reading!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad that you didn't have any damages from the hurricane, Carol, and the same was true here in Nashua, NH. Admittedly, I was prepared for a day long rain event as it was an indoors day of chores and laundry. We did get about an hour of torrential downpours and some wind, but then it was over and the sun came out in early eve. Too bad about the soaked sneakers...happens to me too.