Powered by Blogger.

Christmas in July: Metropolitan Museum of Art Edition


Please join me at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for our
final event of "Christmas in July."

Since Christmas in July is more a state of mind than an actual holiday, I'm happy to complete the 2020 Christmas in July series in August. Actually it's consistent with the rest of 2020 to experience it in a month other than July. 

Our first stop is the beautiful Andrea della Robbia Virgin and Child. Andrea was the nephew of Luca della Robbia, who developed the blue and white glazes that have come to be known as the "della Robbia" style. It's one of my favorites at the museum and though it's certainly not a Christmas decoration, it's so evocative of the season. When I researched it on the museum website I noted that it's not on display at the present time, so I'm glad to have this photograph to enjoy. 
Beautiful in every season

The most beautiful Christmas tree in New York City...

Or perhaps anywhere! The decorations on this magnificent tree date from Eighteenth Century Naples. It's especially lovely to visit the tree and the creche figures that surround it in the evening. The lights are dimmed and Christmas music is playing. 

 I love looking at the individual creche figures. So hoping that the museum reopens at the end of this month and can stay open.

In the spirit of this post I ordered my first holiday gift today. I also used my CVS receipt credit and bought two Halloween cards. I'm not only looking forward to the future, but I am keeping with some structure in life and planning ahead. Holidays may not be celebrated the way we've usually celebrated, but I will be celebrating via Zoom and mail. Fortunately I didn't see Halloween candy on display anywhere. I know I would so be tempted. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and keep cool.

10 comments

Chatty Crone said...

"The tree and the creche figures" are something - I have never seen that before. Wonderful.
So you are starting the holidays officially!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, this tree/manger is amazing, so unique and beautiful! And the Virgin and Child is gorgeous, stunning yet muted colors. I read that the candy companies will not be making as much candy this Halloween due to Covid. There is some in the stores here now, but not as much as usual. But I don't ever remember seeing it our this early!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Wow, that tree is magnificent and so is your positive attitude, Carol.

Martha said...

The photos are amazing! I don't think I'll be doing any holiday shopping this year, gift cards or cash will have to do. Have a great week :)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a beautiful sight, your Christmas in July. One I doubt I'll ever get to see. So thanks again for sharing . There's nothing normal coming our way, that's for sure. But art like that can keep us grounded in the holiday Spirt

Edna B said...

Wow, what a beautiful tree. I love it! I too, have already been holiday shopping and putting things away. I have my Portal so I can see and be with my family during the holidays. It makes it so much easier for me. Except for the hugs. I miss those. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed Christmas in July at the Met and really got me into the holiday thinking mode. I also bought some Halloween cards to send to the grandchildren even though it's still a couple of months off. I suspect Thanksgiving cards and Christmas items will be showing up by Sept. And like you I am keeping in the holiday spirit, no matter what holiday.

thismammablogs.x said...

Tree is fantastic x

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I so enjoyed this post. Thank for sharing. The mother and child is a beautiful piece, and that tree with the creche and all the little figures around the base is just amazing.

One Hope is an Anchor said...

Grateful for sharing tthis