Powered by Blogger.

Reader Seeks Zoom Book Club

 

No surprise, the reader is your own Buttercup

I was chatting on the phone this afternoon with my college friend, Joan, and as we chatted about what we were reading the conversation turned to book clubs. We both commented that we missed our in person book clubs and hadn't found Zoom groups to join. Since I'm not getting around in person, I decided I would post in Buttercupland to find a book club. 

I'm giving another glimpse of one of my book shelves for my prospective new book club friends. I'm an eclectic reader and enjoy both fiction and nonfiction. I especially enjoy historical fiction, memoirs and biography, but I'd be happy to read all fiction, if that's the focus of your book club. I'm good with Zoom and will make every effort to finish the book before our meeting. My only requirement is that the group be English speaking, even if it's in New Zealand or Australia and I need to get up at 7:00 a.m. for meetings. If we were able to meet I'd add that I bring good snacks, but alas, that's not part of book club life these days. 

If anyone in Buttercupland is part of a Zoom book club that has room for one (or two) very nice women who love to read, please leave a comment.   

Tomorrow is our first Wednesday Words and I'll be featuring one of my favorite books, Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and keep cool. 

12 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi, maybe we should start a Zoom book club for bloggers who are also book lovers. Could be fun. My local "church group" book clubs haven't been doing much since the lockdown began. Keep us posted on your quest for a book club.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I look forward to your book review. My favorite books are anything by Alice hoffman & Isabel Allende. Favorite all time book is the classic Gabriel Garcia Marquez book "One Hundred Years Of Solitude, it is historical magical realism.

Dorothy In PA said...

I hope you are able to find a virtual book club. I don't have Zoom so I don't have a suggestion. I am looking forward to Wednesday's post.

Edna B said...

I love reading, and the books on my shelves have nothing to do with each other. I have varied interests. Good luck finding your zoom clu and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Lots of good things going on Zoom these days. Hope you find a book club. I love to read but really haven't done book clubs. But love to hear what others are reading.

Chatty Crone said...

I hope you find one - what a great idea Carol!

DeniseinVA said...

Your books make such a pretty picture and I automatically focused on the very cute little pig figurines. I’m quite fond of them. A nice selection of books also. I will have to share what I have on my bookshelf sometime. Your Zoom book club sounds like a great idea and I expect it will be very successful. My son was part of a film club where they would actually go see the movie and talk about it afterwards. They do this via Zoom now instead of at each other's houses.

Melinda said...

Not sure of any.
Do like you book shelf though.

M : )

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I tried an in person book group last year when it was possible to meet in the library. It was my first time and not that enjoyable because the librarian made the reading selections for the group. Good luck with your quest, BC. I posted on my blog this week about recent booms I’ve read and enjoyed and historical fiction is a favorite.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hope you find a good book group Carol - you would be a brilliant person to have in a book club. Remember walking around Tim's Bookstore in Mailing Road, Australia? What fun we had!

Theresa said...

Good luck on finding your Zoom BOOK CLUB! I am sorry that I can't help! Enjoy your Sunday dear friend, HUGS!

Jeanie said...

I'm dying to know which Edward Rutherfurd is hiding behind that very cute piglet! I love your eclectic shelves -- they remind me of mine! Alas, no answers to your query, but I might just have to follow you here! Looks like a fun place to be, this Buttercupland!

Oh, one other thing -- I just posed my own blogger (new/old Blogger) survey -- questions, problems, issues, over at Marmelade Gypsy. If you're interested, stop by --I'm planning to synthesize and post results next week or so!