Powered by Blogger.

Pending State and City Approval...



I will, again, return to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and 
savor Van Gogh's Irises, actually.

I'm delighted that I have a photograph -- one of dozens I've taken through the years as a devoted visitor to the museum -- but there is nothing like the thrill of seeing a great work of art in person. The museum plans to reopen on Saturday, August 29, with August 27 and 28 set aside for members. I am eagerly keeping an eye on my email to see the details for this visit. My guess is that it will be timed admission with reservations and I  want to make sure I don't miss out. I am sure many of the museum's members are equally excited. The caveat to this is the need for state and city approval, and that depends on New Yorkers keeping safe and being sensible. 

While I was visiting the museum's website I found a fascinating visual tour of Van Gogh's flower paintings, where he strove for "simplicity in bright color."
  
In the interim let's visit a few favorite places in the museum. I've blogged about it many, many times, but it's impossible for me to either visit too often or write about it too often. I hope you'll agree.

One place I often wander, the Robert Lehman Collection, which holds some of my favorite Impressionist paintings.

This is Marie, better known as The Little Fourteen Year Old Dancer, by Edgar Degas

I love the photography exhibitions, not surprisingly. Unless it's an especially well known name, the rooms are rarely crowded, an extraordinary treat. 

In the summer the roof is open and this is the view
 looking west, across Central Park.

I have left out one of my absolutely favorite times to visit the Metropolitan and that is at Christmas. But, no fear, I've been inspired by several of my blog friends and I'm going to post "Christmas in July." I will definitely include the beautiful Italian creche in my post. 

Unfortunately, I've been doing a lot less walking because of the heat. I did make it to the drugstore today and tomorrow, hot or not, I have an appointment with my audiologist, which I'm really looking forward to. My audiologist is a sweet, sweet young woman and I always enjoy seeing her, especially now.      

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and keep cool.

14 comments

Unknown said...

I love the MET too. One day, hopefully soon - we'll walk there and visit all of our paintings.




Chatty Crone said...

New York is very pretty - hot though - like here.
I would love to go to that art museum myself!
Can't wait to see Christmas at the Met!
sandie

Dorothy In PA said...

I am happy that you will be able to visit the Met soon. It sounds like it is a treasured place for you.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful post! You may have posted about it lots before, but your for a new follower like me, I have never seen it! I look forward to more, especially your next visit. I have never been to New York, and just love peeking inside. I am impressed by the really high ceilings! The fourteen year old girl looks like she is wearing a real dancing skirt. Is it real, or part of the sculpture?

Laurel Wood said...

I enjoyed your post so much and the pictures. I know you are thrilled to maybe have the chance to visit soon. The view from the roof is awesome!

Theresa said...

LOVE the pictures of this beautiful museum. I know that you will enjoy visiting this weekend. I pray that your city returns, all places open and welcoming visitors before too long. It is one of my favorite places and I still want to return someday! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Linda said...

Sadly, the museums and library are not open here in western NY. I simply don't understand why not as we have been in Phase 4 for weeks. sigh.

Have a great day, stay safe my friend.

Edna B said...

Such beautiful photos. I wish I were going with you to visit the museum. Take photos and have a wonderful time, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a treat to be a regular visitor and to have access to the museum. I love visiting them too. Though never been to NYC// We have a nice museum in Cleveland OH. Near to me. that I've been to a few times. I don't drive so far away, so visits are limited. Good idea to visit online. Many have special programs on line since Covid 19. Take care in the heat.

Nellie said...

Love those irises! What a gorgeous museum!

Melinda said...

Lovely tour. Thanks for sharing!

M : )

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hope things have cooled down slightly. I loved our visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art - like you I could go time and time again. No wonder you are looking forward to your first trip back for some time!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I so enjoyed this post, and the photos (especially the one of the little ballerina) as you gave us a peek into the museum.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love visiting the Met and looking at the beautiful exhibits and paintings. It will be exciting once the museum opens up again. Stay cool, be safe, and have a nice weekend.