Powered by Blogger.

Jane Austen Pink Saturday


Welcome to Jane Austen Pink Saturday

Per my friends at Facebook, I was reminded that yesterday was the anniversary of the death of one of my favorite authors, Jane Austen. This led me to speculating about whether Jane and I would have been friends on Facebook in an alternate universe. I assumed we would, but then I realized I knew virtually nothing about Jane Austen's personality and I just assume that Jane Austen, the author, and Elizabeth Bennett, the character, were an extension of each other. 

I am friends on Facebook with a number of my favorite writers. Most of them I have met at conferences and some I haven't met in person. It's been fun to get to "know" them better. As I followed this path of thought I started to think about other authors from times distant and less distant and wondered if we would be friends on social media. Would I be following Shakespeare's blog or Louisa May Alcott's Instagram page? I've always admired Henry David Thoreau, but I'm pretty sure Thoreau would have permanently ensconced at Walden Pond and would still be using the nearest pay phone if needed to be in touch with anyone. 

I did some research about Jane Austen and learned that she died at 41 and her sister burned thousands of her letters. What remains doesn't give us a clear picture of her personality. But I'm going to stretch and believe that Jane and I would so be friends on Facebook in an alternate universe. Who would be your Facebook friends from the past or even from fiction?

When I was in England two summers ago I visited the Jane Austen Centre in Bath and got to take my picture with my Facebook friend, Jane.   

Jane is much more elegantly dressed than I am. 

I had hoped to meet Mr. Darcy, but he was in the country the day I visited. Instead I had the good pleasure to chat with Captain Wentworth of Persuasion. He was so gracious. I know we would be friends in the alternate universe Facebook.

 And amazingly in the alternate universe of 2018 I am standing next to someone I haven't been sequestered with for the last four months. 

We have entered the hot, hot days of summer and my only foray out today was a quick trip to Dunkin Donuts for iced coffee. I've spent the day reading, watching television, catching up with friends and totally enjoying my iced coffee. I know I'm remiss in posting a visit to the Metropolitan Museum, but that will be our next post.

As ever, thanks for visiting, take good care and stay cool. 

15 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

She was such a wonderful writer, and seemed to know the human heart very well. Wonderful pictures, you fit right in! Apparently her sister was trying to protect her reputation. But a few sentences were re-discovered, and only contain chat about laundry.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Fun post. Love Jane Austen. So sad that so many of her letters were burned. Wonder what was in them?? I have exchanged some facebook messages with one author. She was so kind to respond to a question I had on a podcast she did, and now she is one of my very favorite authors. Have a good week. See you again soon!

Dorothy In PA said...

I have been celebrating "Jane Austen July" by virtually attending some programs by the Jane Austen Society of North America. I enjoyed "visiting" Chawton House and the Jane Austen House. How wonderful that you actually got to see some of her sites in person.

Laurel Wood said...

What a fun post today. For many years, I read Phyllis Whitney's mysteries to my mom. It would be fun to know more about her life and personality.

Theresa said...

Beautiful post about Jane Austen! I didn't know she died so young! It is really hot here and we are staying in when we can. Enjoy your day and week ahead dear friend, HUGS!

Edna B said...

Interesting information on Jane Austen. I've met two authors and one of them is my granddaughter. My favorite iced coffee comes from McDonalds. I like their coffee so much better than Dunkin's. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

NanaDiana said...

Loved this post. It has always put a lump in my throat to think that all of those letters were burned. You just wonder what secrets they held...maybe best we don't know.
Have a great week! xo Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

If her books are any judge at all of her character, Jane and I would definitely be friends. I loved reading her books and seeing the movies made from them. I could have fit right in with the times they lived in very well. I'm a bit old fashioned and a romantic. It was indeed a hot weekend and I too enjoyed some iced coffee and a couple of good books, but couldn't find much on tv to enjoy. A dip in my daughters pool was the highlight of my weekend and I got some sun to show for it. Flooting is more my speed than swimming so I just sat back and enjoyed keeping cool while soaking up some rays.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I enjoyed reading this about Jane Austen. It's so sad that she died so young and that all of those letters she had written were burned by her sister.
Thanks for the blog visit and your sweet comment on the plant stand makeover I did.
Drinking an iced coffee and staying sounds just perfect this week for staying cool. Take care and be safe.

DeniseinVA said...

A super post! I used to travel through Bath all the time when driving up to see my sister for the weekend, back in the days when I lived in England. It is a beautiful city. I enjoyed reading all about Jane in this post, and thoroughly enjoyed the photographs. Thank you so much and stay safe :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Buttercup..The time we are spending now is certainly good for catching up on our reading. I do love Jane Austen's works, along with the Bronte sisters and Frances Hodgson Burnett. Unfortunately, or maybe not, in my older years, I have taken to the simple things in life and go towards silly, chick fluff when it comes to reading. Not all fluff as some of the new writers are very good. I did reread Little Women when my family was younger. I have an extensive library that belonged to my mother and I do grab an old, well loved author from time to time. Thanks to your comment to me, I am now a citizen of Buttercupland and glad to be here. I love your writing and hearing about your travels and am leaving a few comments on your past posts. Thank you for your visit and just wanted you to know that I always answer everyone that leaves a comment, but I now do it under everyone's comments on my blog post. Blogger (or me) did something that changed everyone coming to me as a non-blogger so this is the easiest way to answer..Stay well and take care..xxoJudy

Melinda said...

Loved this post!
I would have think about distant Facebook friends.

Hope your Monday is going well.

M : )

Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed your post. I also visited Bath several years ago and saw her home. I’m not sure she would have enjoyed Facebook as the writing has to be so simple and brief.

I read your previous post about John Lewis. I also met him in September 2013 in Decatur, GA., when he came to introduce his graphic book. I bought several copies and was able to talk with him. Even though I now live in Nashville I still have my house in Atlanta and vote there. I was on his mailing list and kept the last email he sent us. He was a peace warrior and we grieve at his passing.

Vagabonde said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I wanted to tell you that I live in the Hilsboro-West End area of Nashville about 2 blocks from 21st Avenue, 1 mile from Vanderbilt U and 1 1-2 miles from Belmont University. I am in the historic bungalow areas. It’s nice and walkable. Problem is right now most of the walkers don’t wear a mask! If you ever come back to visit the area, let me know.

My Tata's Cottage said...

Hi Carol! I came to apologize. My blog at My Tata's Cottage will not post my comments and I had comments from May til today hanging in cyberspace. I am thinking I May have fixed that issue. I still blog at annesphamily.blogspot.com so far no issues there. But one never knows.
As for Jane Austen you could be friends with our middle Rebekah. She has always been a lover of Jane and that time period.
Your photos are great and you always have a good story to tell. Thank you and please accept my apologies. Have a wonderful week and please stay safe. HUGS