Powered by Blogger.

Let's Talk Bookshelves


Do you  mix books with your collections?

Obviously, I do. 

I have a lot of bookshelves and most of them -- except for the very top shelves and the very bottom shelves -- include my paperweight collection and assorted pictures and souvenirs from my travels. Interior design is not one of my talents, and I go with comfort and memories over style. Actually, if my decor had a style, it would be wall to wall books. 

I haven't thought about my book collection until yesterday when I had a visit from the contractor who will be working to reconnect the gas lines in our building. I knew that there would be some reconstruction, but I assumed it would only affect my kitchen. The kitchen will be the smallest part of the process. The stove will be moved and then moved back into place. However, there will be drilling in my bedroom and the living room. The workmen will move the furniture, but I am in charge of emptying eleven shelves of books, and things. I've started wrapping up my paperweight collection and hope the start the book packing tomorrow. It will be a good time to sort through my shelves and figure out what books can be sold or recycled. My goal is to have two empty shelves when it's time to move everything back in place. 

I naively asked if the construction next week was the last step before the gas would be turned on and the contractor laughed in response. We got the full schedule today and if everything goes as scheduled, gas should be restored by October 31. But as we all know, construction rarely goes as planned and I will be happy if I can use my oven in January 2021. If it's sooner than that I will be thrilled, and if it's longer, I will be less disappointed. 

I was so pleased that our visit to the Metropolitan Museum was so popular. I said we'd make a return visit soon and soon will be this weekend. I've had a lot of fun during my blog travels with seeing Christmas in July posts and Buttercupland is having a Christmas in July weekend. We're going to enjoy three days of New York Christmas fun. One of days we'll be at the Museum. We're also going to see some of the best light displays in New York City in Brooklyn and we're going to revisit some of my favorite Fifth Avenue decorations. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and keep cool!

15 comments

Jemi Fraser said...

Yikes! It's never a good sign when your contractor laughs! Sounds like a lot of work! You'll be needing quiet places to read those books so don't pack them too far away!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

My son and his family have been to new York a couple times. But we never have, and are now too old too, especially with the Covid Virus. So you have no IDEA how much I love this!!! Oh my, what a lot of disruptive work you have to do! But you are right, the plus side is that you can go through everything and clean it all out.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That is a big job to move all your books. We have lots of books and bookshelves too. Good luck with all of the construction work at your home. It will sure be nice to have it finished. Have a good Friday!

Terra said...

That is a lot of books to move, and no gas until Oct. or as you suggest, maybe January. That sounds super inconvenient!

Laurel Wood said...

I love seeing some of your books and paperweights. It's so nice to be surrounded by things you love that bring fond memories. Moving the books is a lot of work and your are smart to use this time to clean out a few books to make room for new ones. I do hope the gas will be turned on before year end.

Theresa said...

YIKES, I love books and your collection of paperweights is precious for sure! I don't envy you having to clear out the bookshelves but I know you will be happy to get your gas back on. Has it been a year? Enjoy your day dear friend, it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy:) HUGS!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure hope things go well. And I've been trying to take things from all of my collections to donate...get things a little neater. Having an empty shelf would really be nice! Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Lynda said...

Well. - - - I am glad you will eventually get gas in your apartment - - - hopefully before this time next year. The workers have had some definite obstacles with the huge COVID problems. As long as they do it correctly, nothing else matters. And old buildings definitely need updates.
Question - - any clue if they are getting paid by the total job itself or by the hour? Just curious - - not critical. Praying they are more knowledgeable and conscientious than some of the contractors we have had work on our house!

Mevely317 said...

"Comfort and memories" trumps style any day of the week! We disposed and donated most of our books before moving, but kept maybe a dozen favorites. Yep, my treasured mementos share shelf space with them. No matter how old, I just like to walk in this room, see them and smile.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh my, what a bother for you to pack and put away everything, but like you say it does give you a reason to go through things and sort them out. Two empty bookshelves is a big goal, but won't it be nice to have room for more. What a nice Christmas in July gift to give yourself.

Pam said...

Good luck with moving books, etc and repairs! I ran out of room for books in general and cookbooks in particular, and got rid of many of them. Trying not to buy books other than Kindle now. But I do have book shelves over one wall and they're filled with books and travel mementos also. And style to me is whatever you like, cozy and homey is my way and it sounds like yours too! Take care

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I mix my things together so that those things that touch my heart with memories are always displayed front and center. I don’t care if it is not good taste.

That is terrible that you are inconvenienced for such a long time. What are you going to do while they are working on your apartment? Do you have someplace to go? I am concerned for you, Carol.

Edna B said...

Did I miss something? Why does it take so long to put in gas, and why does it disrupt so many rooms in your house? And yes, I do mix things with my books. It's all a part of me so why not? It's good that you can keep up a good attitude during these stressful times. And yes, I loved seeing all the beautiful lights. Those blue ones are so cool. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Wow that is really a long time to install the gas so you and others can use their ovens, but at least you are being less optimistic so as not be disappointed if it is even a longer timeframe. yes, we mix collectibles and books on the shelves. The ones in the living room have books, photos, cards and baskets to hold odds and ends. Every now and then I do try to cull thru the book collection, sometimes even with success.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Our book shelves have more than books on them, but they do not look neat, like yours do. ~smile~

Best of luck, with the construction. And with getting everything hooked back up again. With the NYC conditions, which exist today. ~sigh~

✨🍉🍓🍨🍑✨