Powered by Blogger.

Our Hearts Are Broken


Tonight we mourn Congressman John Lewis (1940-2020),
and we will mourn for a long, long time. 

My heart breaks to write the second number, 2020, inside the caption. It's not often that we get to meet our heroes, the people that make our country and the world a better place. I am beyond grateful that I had the great good fortune to meet and thank Congressman Lewis for all that he contributed to America.

I took this photograph at BookExpo America in 2013. I had the privilege of attending a panel where Cong. Lewis spoke about March: Book One, a graphic novel he co-authored about the Civil Rights Movement. At the conclusion of the panel I introduced myself to Cong. Lewis and he could not have been more gracious. It is a moment that will be with me always. 

We honor your work and your life, Congressman Lewis, by working for a more just nation. Your memory will always be a blessing. 

I had a very different post planned for today, a virtual trip to the Metropolitan Museum. We will visit the museum over the weekend and enjoy a few of our favorite pieces of art together.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.    

10 comments

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

This is a very hard loss. How wonderful that you got to meet this wonderful, brave man.

Edna B said...

What a lovely memorial post for your friend. I'm looking forward to the museum visit. Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Edna B.

Deb J. in Utah said...

He was a great man. So neat that you got to meet him.

Nellie said...

I am greatly saddened at the loss of this great man! May we remember his dedication to civil rights and continue the journey!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I did see that on the news and thought how another great man has gone from this earth. We need more of them, not less. So glad you got to meet him/ What an honor that would be. Hope you are able to enjoy this Sunday, It's too hot to go out here. Staying in and keeping cool.

NanaDiana said...

The world lost a living legend with his death. What a loss for our country. His story is one of amazing courage and love for his fellow man....and he did it the right way! xo Diana

Dorothy In PA said...

Thank you for honoring this amazing man. His gifts to America were great.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Buttercup - glad to see you over at my blog. John Lewis certainly apparently set high standards ... a sad loss for you and America. Take care - Hilary

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Buttercup. When I heard the news that first morning, I was devastated. I am a political junkie and have followed his career over the years. He was a great man and did so much for our country and every time I saw him on TV I just wanted to hug him. Among other things he was a cutie-pie and a very kind man. How nice that you were able to meet him. That would have been a great honor for me..Stay well..xxoJudy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

John Lewis was quite an amazing man and has left an enduring legacy. I spent time watching quite a few tributes on his many accomplishments. How fortunate that you were able to meet him.