Powered by Blogger.

Christmas in July: Brooklyn Edition


We're traveling through time and space to
Christmas in July, Brooklyn 2015 

The heat broke today, thankfully and though it's not cool it's possible to enjoy some blogging time without the air conditioner's background noise. But it's still July and summer and we will need to go through space to Brooklyn and then backwards in time to December, 2015. We're making a few stops on a tour of the legendary lights of Dyker Heights, Brooklyn. 

 Mrs. Claus is happy to greet us upon our arrival in Brooklyn

Dyker Heights is well known for its extraordinary displays of lights and ornaments. Thousands of lights and huge crowds, as you can see from the photograph above. We definitely have gone back to a time before the phrase "social distancing" was part of our vocabulary. 

This house may be my favorite. I love all of the color 
and the assortment of decorations.  


We're making a quick stop on the way home in Bay Ridge, another Brooklyn neighborhood.  It has great decorations, too, but is still relatively undiscovered. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods and where I've celebrated Christmas with friends for the last twenty years. Love all the bright blue lights!

I hope the pictures of Christmas decorations brought cooling thoughts to places where the heat didn't break. I remember the night I visited that it was cold and hot cocoa was my drink of choice and not lemonade, my favorite summer drink these days. 

Tomorrow Christmas in July meets Pink Saturday as we tour some of my favorite decorations in Manhattan. We'll be visiting Fifth Avenue, and then making a side trip to 34th Street and Macy's. It wasn't my original plan to go off Fifth Avenue, but could not leave Macy's out. I started going through my photographs today and it's going to be difficult to choose which ones to post. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. Stay well and keep cool.  

12 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

This was such a fun post. I will look forward to more tomorrow! Have a good weekend!

Dorothy In PA said...

I enjoyed these photos. Some 35 years ago, I went to a Christmas tour at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. I remember that it was so cold but the Garden was so beautiful.

Karen said...

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS. I LOVE SEEING THE LIGHTS AT CHRISTMAS.

Laurel Wood said...

Marvelous decorations. This was so much fun!

Theresa said...

My Nieces visited Dyker Hights on one of their Christmas visits. SO beautiful and they did a live as they walked thru... it felt like I was there. Thanks for this wonderful post. Hope your Saturday is perfect! HUGS!

Unknown said...

I was impresssed my the 2017 Coney Island (with train) photo especially because I saw the elephant and sais ELEPHANT out loud. Gee, I must be smart!!

Chatty Crone said...

"COOL" decorations!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Fun to see these holiday decorations now, Buttercup, especially when there is not much joy around. So many holidays have been subdued this year and Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas may be ext on the list. So these photos were a joy to see and thanks for the background info as well.

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos! I always love to see Christmas decorations at any time of the year :)

Lonni said...

Refreshing!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

How beautiful...

Wondering what these places look like, today? With all the protests, and the way that the Mayor has let life, deteriorate.

~sigh~

✨🍉🍓🍨🍑✨

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wonderful fun post. When did these Christmas in July celebrations start? I don't remember any back in the day when I lived in NYC, but that was over 20 years ago.