Powered by Blogger.

Sweet Pea Pink Saturday



I am pleased to present one of my favorite flowers, the sweet pea on this Pink Saturday. Some of my favorite flowers bloomed in our yard when I was growing up and I really looked forward to the spring flowers -- tulips, lilacs, sweet peas and lily of the valley.

I think of both sweet peas and lily of the valley as being old-fashioned flowers. I rarely see sweet peas anymore and in my research found that they were especially popular in Edwardian times. They symbolize purity, innocence and blissful pleasure. A last sweet pea factoid is that the scent beloved by people is disliked by flies. Along with the daisy sweet peas are the flower of April. The lily of the valley is the flower of May. 

What's your favorite? Pale pink as shown above or a brighter shade of pink?

Perfect summer day today, and it was a busy one. Started the morning with a world-wide Weight Watcher program, hosted by Oprah. Spent the afternoon on Zoom with my study group friends and the book of Zechariah. I'm sure I've read excerpts from Zechariah over the years, but this was the first time I've spent time studying it.  After a nice visit with Betsy in the park late in the afternoon I got my Saturday night slice of veggie pizza. I concluded the evening with my first attempt making a frozen dessert. A full discussion will follow tomorrow, but I will give you a quick preview of my experience with the reminder that CREAM is a big part of ice cream.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and stay well!  

11 comments

Theresa said...

So many pretty pinks! It sounds like you had a wonderful and busy day! I can't wait to hear about that ice cream! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Louca por porcelana said...

I prefer the second color in the last picture.Those flowers are uncommon here.I loved your information about them. Hugs and blessings!

Carol said...

Sweet peas are such pretty flowers and like you, I rarely see them anymore. I did not realize that sweet peas are disliked by flies. My grandma had sweet peas along her back fence line and I loved them. I will see if we can get some and when I need to plant them here. I also love lilies of the valley and was very excited to see my daughter had them in her yard of her home. I will be planting some outside our windows next year! The smell is amazing!!

Laurel Wood said...

I love the pale pink blooms! Sounds like you had a full day. I wish you a very pleasant day!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love sweet pas as well as lilly of the valley. They are two of my favorite fragrances too. As we head toward summer there will be many more favorite coming our way, one of which is rose. Rose was my mothers favorite I so grateful for the many wonderful flowers we have. Hope you used cream in your adventures with ice cream, it is a must.

Ginny Hartzler said...

There are quite a few Sweet Pea flowers around here, they grow on the roadsides and edges of gardens. I agree that these and Lily Of The Valley are old fashioned plants. But I do love them. We have NO Lilly Of The Valley. It is quite rare to find one around here. I look forward to your creamy dessert!

Linda said...

I love your sweet peas! I love the fragrance. Once long years ago I grew some sweet peas in the very early spring. The temps here in Texas are way too hot for them but I was thrilled to get to have them for a week or so.

Susie said...

Sweet peas , such pretty flowers. Veggie pizza...sounds good. I wish I had read more and listened more. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The flowers are lovely and both pinks were my favorites. How does that sound like in decision? We have some yellow flowers that reminded me of sweet peas. Looking forward to reading about the ice cream making project and of course you need cream.

The Liberty Belle said...

I did Oprah's Life in Focus too! Hmmm... a slice of veggie pizza sounds good right now.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful picture of the pink sweet peas.