Powered by Blogger.

The Fabulous Z Brothers


My grandfather, Abraham, on the left, and 
 his brothers, Stanley and Pierre, Paris 1909

For the last ten Fathers Days I've posted about my father. And on this Fathers Day, as in the past, my father is first in my thoughts. But this year I want to share my thoughts about my grandfather, my father's father. 

I have virtually no memories of my grandfather, who died in 1955 when I was four years old. But I do have many stories of my grandfather and my father's family. Now that almost all of the generation before me are gone, I wish I'd listened more and asked more questions. This is the only photograph of my grandfather when he was young. I have other photos, but they were taken much later. 

My grandfather was the fourth of nine children, born in Belarus in 1887. I have no information about my grandfather's early years, but the three oldest brothers shown in the photograph were part of the 1905 Russian Revolution. After the Revolution failed they were one step ahead of the Czar's police and somehow managed to find their way safely to Paris. As I write this, I feel sorry I asked so few questions. How did three young men, barely out of their teens, find their way from Russia to Paris? How did they make a living once they got there and how did they make it to America before the First World War started in 1914?

My grandparents were married in 1914 and landed in New York City, where they lived for the rest of their lives. My grandfather became a furrier with his brother-in-law. Sadly, the Depression destroyed their business and my grandfather then ran a series of candy stores in Queens and Brooklyn. They were tough years and he died a relatively young man. 

But in 1909 everything was in front of these handsome young men. Thankfully, my great-grandparents and all nine of their children made it to America. I owe my life to their fortitude and courage and on Father's Day and every day, I say thank you to the fabulous Z Brothers.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Happy Fathers Day!

11 comments

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Buttercup for sharing this family history about your grandfather. I also wish I had asked more questions and learned more about my grandparents who relocated from Italy to NJ. Sadly, aside from online genealogy sites, there are no living family members who can share the family history.

Ginny Hartzler said...

They are so good looking. They look like Russian aristocracy! What a story! You have a heritage to be so proud of. It wasn't till after my mom died that I wished I had asked so many more questions!

Susie said...

Carol, What handsome young men. I can't even imagine all they went thru. It was nice to read about your family. Oh honey, so many times I wish I had asked many , many more questions of my parents and aunts and uncles. If only young people could know how much they could learn. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

What a handsome trio! And such a remarkable legacy of pride and perseverance.
I, too, sorely regret not having asked more questions of my parents.

Laurel Wood said...

What a precious photo to have. Thank you for sharing about your grandfather and his family. I think each one of us wishes we had thought to ask more questions when we had the opportunity.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a lovely post.
So nice to see the photograph and to read about your family.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Janie Junebug said...

I love old photos and that's a good one. It's easy to see that they're brothers.

Love,
Janie

Dorothy In PA said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather and his brothers.

I too feel gratitude to my grandparents for the sheer determination it took in those days to just stay alive given the hardships people endured in the late 1890s and early 1900s.

I also wish I had asked questions and learned more about family history.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good memories of your grandfather. So many tales are told of those difficult days. So glad they managed to get away and settle in American. Not many were able to survive this terrible times. I remember some episodes of Downton Abby showing some Russians immigrants the stories they told of those times. They then went off to settle in Paris.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That is a wonderful picture to have. What handsome men they were and I bet they had many interesting stories to tell. Sometimes you can find out some of those stories on Ancestor or one of the other DNA sites. We have found answers to some questions we had thru this.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Such an interesting family story, Carol. Your grandfather and great uncles were handsome men.
I also have a recent immigrant story in my family as my mother's parents immigrated from the Ukraine. My grandfather died when my mother was only 3 months old in a coal mine cave-in. My maternal grandmother lived until I was 16. I really loved her even though she did not speak English.