Powered by Blogger.

Anita (and Her Beet Salad) Can't Be Beat

Happy birthday, Anita!

Anita and her wonderful children -- who have grown to be terrific adults 

I first wrote the post below in 2013 after an unusually good dinner at my friend, Anita's. Seven years have gone by and I've had the good fortune to share many dinners, events, holidays and cups of coffee. We met in high school (with a gap in the 1970's) and we've been friends since. If we were not caught in the weirdest time warp outside of a science fiction movie, we would have been celebrating together. 

But since we're fifteen miles apart today I send my wishes for a happy 70th birthday and good health and happiness for many years to come. Thank you for years of friendship, love, laughter and more happy times than I can count. And as I've said in the last few months more times than I can count, next year in person! 

From May, 2013:
I first met Anita in 1965. The Beatles were the rage, Lyndon Johnson was President and we were young and quickly assumed we would always be friends. The Beatles are now icons of a distant age, there have been a number of presidents since Mr. Johnson, we're not so young anymore, but we're still friends. I've had dinner at Anita's many times and often beets are on the menu. I've always skipped them, because I decided in some distant age that I don't like beets. But last Saturday night the bowl of beet salad looked good and I thought, "Why not just try it?" I didn't just like Anita's beet salad, but I had seconds. It was yummy and it turns out, beets are really good for you. Beets are so good for you (and me) that I wanted to share this delicious recipe. Anita was very gracious and happily provided it. 

Norwegian Beet Salad (ready in 30 minutes and can be prepared the same day)

Ingredients:
1 raw beet
1 carrot
1 apple
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts -- may be toasted
1/2 cup shredded dried coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
2T lemon juice
1T minced ginger
1T Asian toasted sesame oil (or olive oil if you can't find sesame oil)
Chopped fresh parsley

Peel and shred beet, carrot and apple. Combine in bowl. Make dressing of lemon juice, ginger and sesame oil and add to the beet mixture. When ready to serve toss in nuts and coconut. Add salt to taste. (I don't think it needs any.)

To make this salad for eight to ten people I used 2 beets, 2 large carrots (my carrots were skinny so I used 6) and two hard apples. I didn't change the proportion of other ingredients and I might even suggest halving the dressing ingredients when you are making the salad for four. 

I peel the beets, carrots and apples and shred them in my food processor using the large-holed shredding disc. Try to find the toasted sesame oil...it definitely makes the dish and should be widely available. I use Eden Select toasted sesame oil...no need to refrigerate...and great in marinades. I use flaked, not shredded coconut, but either is fine.

The recipe is still great and I still highly recommend it. 

It's 5:41 and I'm in for the night. We've got our synagogue annual meeting via Zoom tonight. I've been taking walks most nights after dinner, but I'll skip tonight. There's an 8:00 p.m. curfew until Sunday, as well as a ban on vehicles in Manhattan that includes my neighborhood. I'm hopeful and prayerful and if you've got an extra prayer (or two) please send them our way. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. Much love and wash your hands. 

11 comments

Laurel Wood said...

Happy Birthday to Anita! The salad sounds delicious and is very unique. John absolutely loves beets, too. Praying for peace and safely all over our Country tonight and in the days to come.

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are both blessed to have found each other. She looks like a joyful person!

Dorothy In PA said...

How wonderful to celebrate a birthday and a friendship. I am sure that when these challenging times in the world are over, you will have a huge celebration.

Mae Travels said...

Long term friendships are a wonderful blessing!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday Anita! That's a big birthday...but one I've already had earlier this year! And it 'aint so bad'! heehee! And I want you to know I am praying for NYC and for you in particular my friend. It's really made me incredibly sad. Take care of yourself and stay safe! Sweet hugs, Diane

Sam I Am...... said...

Happy Birthday, Anita and thank you for the recipe! I love beets and I am always on the lookout for great beet recipes which sadly, are few and far between! I am 71 1/2 so I am a bit older. I wish I had a good friend like you....unfortunately all mine have passed away. Enjoy your birthday and your good friend!

Kerin said...

Happy birthday to your life~long friend.
Life~long friends are such a blessing in our live and rare, so even that much more of a blessing!

Sweet of her to share the recipe with you, and then you share the recipe with us...thanks!

(Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog and such great advice.
Yes! I agree 100% with you, and we want to retire while we still have time in which to enjoy being retired.
Sadly, one of my husbands fellow Captains didn't make it to this next December and sadly was diagnosed with cancer and passed away a few months ago.
That Capt. and my sweet husband began their careers the same year....so strange to think of that man being gone.)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love beets and will try out that salad. So nice to have such a good friend. Good friends and good food make life better. I am praying for all the unrest and chaos going on will be resolved peacefully. Take care and be safe.

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy Birthday to your good friend Anita.
That salad sounds delicious.

All the best Jan

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday Anita! I don't like beets! There aren't many things that I really don't like but beets is one of them. I have been praying for you and your city as well as so many others:( I am SO sad about it all! Sending HUGS and continued prayers your way!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Please extend my best wishes for a very Happy Birthday to your dear friend, Anita. Thanks for sharing this beet salad recipe. While they are not my favorite vegetable, my husband enjoys them and this will be a special treat for him.