Powered by Blogger.

The Legend(s) of the Cardinal



A cardinal came to visit...

While Betsy and I were walking in Riverside Park. At first I was totally oblivious, but the bright red bird caught Betsy's attention and she helped me to find it. I know I've seen cardinals before, but I took this one as a sign of hope and of all good things to come in the future. 

I knew that seeing a cardinal had many meanings, but the only one that came to me was that a visit from a cardinal was a visit from a loved one that is deceased. When I got home and started researching this I found a number of other things symbolized by a cardinal. 

Cardinals are among the most popular birds. They are the state birds of seven states and the mascots  of many teams, including the St. Louis Cardinals. They are the birds of Christmas, being one of the few Northern birds that don't fly south for the winter.  

Cardinals are symbolic in several Native American cultures. In the Choctaw culture the cardinal was a symbol for changes in relationships. In the Cherokee culture the cardinal was seen as the daughter of the sun and part of the creation story. The Cherokee also believed a  red cardinal flying towards the sun was a symbol of good luck.    

I read an article in the NY Times that many more people are taking up bird watching in the last few months. I'm not quite ready to say I'm a bird watcher, but I am interested in learning more about the birds of New York City. I've been doing some reading on the American Bird Conservancy website and I signed up for a web session on learning to photograph birds next month. Is anyone else a bird watcher?

I've continued to do more decluttering and discovered a trove of travel pictures that have long been buried. Tomorrow for Pink Saturday we'll be taking an armchair trip to somewhere cool, just the change from the summery humid weather that we're experiencing.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands!

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

We have been birdwatchers for many years. We have the I.D. field guides and a life list. I tis fun, and free! I did not know there could be the same state bird for more than one state! Interesting!

Sam I Am...... said...

We have many different birds here in AR and like you, I am learning. I hear them more than see them and some I recognize. Interesting about cardinals. We have lots down here. Enjoy!

Ella said...

I love the Red Cardinal so much, but unfortunately we don't have this bird in Europe!
Thank you very much for this post, I learned new things about the Red Cardinal!
Can I reserve an armchair for tomorrow? Front row, please!

Please stay save ... Ella at homewithmrst.blogspot.com

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am not a bird watcher, but I watch and appreciate birds. The cardinal is one of the main birds in our yard and I can tell you that no matter how many times I see them, I get always get certain feeling of excitement and a deep appreciation of their beauty.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's a bird that really stands out in the forest no matter what the season. What interesting things you found out about them! Happy weekend!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like your idea of a cardinal being a sign of hope. Birds do give us hours and hours of entertainment. Nice to be able to identify the ones around us . I have a bird book and binoculars to watch them with and have a lot of fun with that. A cold front has moved in here taking the heat and humidity away. It's sunny but chilly here today. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Laurel Wood said...

I enjoy watching and identifying the birds here too. Two of the prettiest birds I've ever seen: Scarlet Tanager and Indigo Bunting. I was fortunate this spring to watch blue birds raise their young in my nesting box! It is hot/humid in GA today. I wish you a wonderful day.

Mevely317 said...

I didn't realize the many legends -- beyond a loved one's visit, that is. Presently we've several Cardinal couples in and around our home -- they bring me enormous comfort.

Susie said...

We love our cardinals here in Indiana. Carol, I think you'd enjoy bird watching, it's gets people out in the fresh air and basically free. My daughter has been a bird watcher for many years. She send me pictures all the time. I just put a feeder out for some orioles. Hope you have a beautiful weekend, xoxo, love, Susie

Dorothy In PA said...

I think I saw a cardinal the other day and thought it was a robin. Clearly I failed "birds" in school. I failed flowers too. I did fairly well with the "leaf" assignment though (laugh).

I am looking forward to the next armchair adventure. I am fluffing up the cushions on my sofa so I will be ready.

TARYTERRE said...

i just sent a link to your post to my daughter. she lost her boyfriend a year ago and will find these facts about cardinals comforting.