Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes Dog Sledding


Pink Saturday Goes Dog Sledding in the Canadian Rockies

I thought I'd finished going through all of my pictures, but I realize there are troves of photos and memories hidden in every corner of my apartment. I was sorting through the linen closet and in back of the dish towels was another box of photographs from circa 2000. I discovered photographs of my only winter sports vacation and three envelopes of pictures from an amazing vacation cruise from Singapore to Phuket, Thailand. 

But this post is about my once in a life-time dog sledding experience in beautiful Banff, Alberta, Canada. I am not a winter sports fan. I ice skated a few times in junior high school. I skied one morning in high school and realized I didn't like cold, height and speed and spent the afternoon drinking hot cocoa in the lodge. I didn't even touch a ski during four years of college in New England, including my year in New Hampshire where Dartmouth had its own slopes. 

Fast forward thirty years my friend and travel buddy Pat suggested I join her and her friend, Judy, for a week of cross country skiing near Banff. I said no, and Pat reminded me that this trip was the trip of a lifetime to one of the most beautiful places on earth and gave me a second chance to say yes. Which is how I ended up in the Canadian Rockies reclining in a dog sled.   

Even though I don't like being outside in the cold, somehow  I thought being in a dog sled being dragged over snow would somehow be well, not so cold. I am smiling in the picture, but just a few minutes later as I began my once in a lifetime dog sledding experience, my smile was gone and I realized I was quickly becoming a human block of ice. I was wearing  layers of ski clothes, but the one layer that kept me from the frozen ground wasn't enough to keep me from freezing. I was as grateful as I've ever been when the once in a lifetime experience came to an end. It was ten minutes that seemed as though it was an eternity.
  
My dog sled path through the woods 

That was my first and last dog sledding adventure and my last actual winter sports experience. I learned my lesson and now enjoy all winter sports vicariously, and generally only when watching the Olympics every four years. Any Buttercuplanders winter sports fans?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands. 

10 comments

Latane Barton said...

Oh, my, you brave soul. I hate the cold, too... as well as the hot summers. Just give me airconditioning or a decent heating unit and I am happy. No extremes, please.

Laurel Wood said...

Like you, I enjoy watching the winter sports on tv! Growing up in the south, I don't do cold very wel1! lol I do love the pictures...what an experience! Blessings, Mildred

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are definitely more adventurous than I could ever be. I much prefer the beach than the Canadian mountains. I like to be warm. bundled up at home . No dog sleds for me. Still I suppose it was a once in a lifetime trip for you. Looks like you had fun. It's a chilly 49 degrees here this morning and that is plenty cold enough fore me.

Ella said...

I don't like winter sports either ...
In the Netherlands the winters are generally mild, I think I will not enjoy cold and "mountains" snow.
The only winter sport I like is figure skating!
Have a nice Sunday!

Lonni said...

I have really tried to participate in and like winter sports myself, but I finally learned winter activities were not for me! Except for the hot chocolate and sitting by the fire watching others enjoy themselves.

Carol said...

What an amazing opportunity to be able to dogsled! I am not a huge fan of being cold, but I love to ski and I would absolutely love to go on a dogsled through those woods. Being in the country, you learn to appreciate the cold and snow, even if you don't like it.

Mevely317 said...

How cute you look! While in Alaska we signed up for a 'sledding adventure' -- which was little more than several of us buckled in an old Jeep chassis that a team of dogs pulled down a big hill. I LOVE winter … not so much being cold, but the wonderful ways in which to warm up. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We relocated to New England because we wanted a change of weather in that the summers were becoming much too hot and humid in VA. We prefer cooler/cold to warm/hot weather. And we did try snow shoeing for the first couple of years after we moved, but the past couple of winters the snowshoes have been unused due to a lack of snow and interest. Neighbors here did try dog sledding in New England and really enjoyed it.

LC said...

Not a winter sports fan either. Pre-stroke I did join relatives on the slopes once a year for about six years. But my legs would only last the morning, then it was lunch, people watching and hot chocolate in the lodge.

Chatty Crone said...

I am so surprised - that is so wonderful - is there anything you haven't done - where or what would you do?