Powered by Blogger.

W Is for Wiltshire


A quick trip down the coast from Ullapool to Wiltshire, England

I discovered one of the most beautiful places I've been, the English county of Wiltshire, via one of my blog friends, and I will always be grateful. I've written many times about blog friends becoming friends. As the years have gone by I've had the great fortune to meet my blog buddies, both when they've visited New York and when I've traveled across the globe. I "met" Sybil, who lives in Wiltshire, early in my blog career and we've kept in touch ever since. She graciously extended an offer to visit and even though we'd never met I accepted her invitation and flew to England in the summer of 2018. Yes, it was iffy, but a dear mutual friend, who I had met several times, had visited Wiltshire and I was assured it was a good idea.   

   The gardens at Avebury Manor

My visit was more than a good idea, it was an opportunity to make lifelong friends and see a beautiful corner of England from a local perspective. I had heard of Salisbury and Stonehenge (and even been to Stonehenge), but I wouldn't have been able to tell you what county they were in. I wasn't familiar with the extraordinary Avebury Manor or Lacock Abbey  -- featured in Harry Potter -or a dozen other sites I visited with Sybil and friends. 


One of my favorite places when I visited Wiltshire was Avebury Manor. Avebury was an extraordinary combination of fascinating sights to see. It combined a beautiful manor house built on (or very near) to the site of a Benedictine priory founded in 1114. It also included St. James Church, which dates from the Saxon period before the Norman Conquest. Avebury also includes an ancient stone circle, that dates from 3,000 BCE. 

Exploring the Avebury Stone Circle

My visit to Stonehenge in 2014 and my visit to Avebury in 2018 was completely different. The circle at Stonehenge was surrounded by a barrier and there were perhaps, several hundred people visiting. At Avebury,  the stones are arranged in an extended circle and spread over a large area. The other major difference at Avebury is that my new friend, Val, who is Sybil's neighbor, and I shared this site with one other person.    

 At Stonehenge in 2014

I've been doing a lot of reflecting while I've been writing these travel reflections. I'd planned to visit England again this summer, a quick visit to London and then a cruise to both English and Scottish ports. That's been cancelled and there's no telling when or even if that trip might be possible. When things open up again -- whenever that may be -- I'd love a return to Wiltshire. 

I'm glad to report that my cut finger is healing well and I'm typing and blogging again, and coming to the completion of the Blogging from A to Z challenge. I'd hoped to finish in April, but now I'm looking to completion on May 1. My friend, B, asked me yesterday what I was going to blog about in May. I've been keeping a list of ideas and I have some topics to catch up on. I'm planning to do weekly travel posts, at least until I can start traveling again.    

Tomorrow for "X" we return to North America. I'm revisiting one of the earliest trips I took once I started working and began to travel. Back to 1977.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love, wash your hands and watch your fingers. 

14 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is simply just wonderful! Such peaceful beauty! I would rather go here than a beach or any other place. This is my favorite so far.

Chatty Crone said...

I think the true way and the best way is to know someone where you are going and them showing you the highlights. SOme very interesting things there. Glad your finger is better. No trip this summer - please.

Dorothy In PA said...

I love the photographs. I especially like to see walkways. They just draw me in.

How wonderful to make new friends.

I am glad your finger is better.

Kerin said...

Very pretty places, and so nice to have a forever friend.
Blogging can be a blessing like that....making forever friends.

~K.

Gloria said...

I love your pictures.
Glad your finger is healing.
Have a great day.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Blogging has really changed our lives and added so much to it! What a beautiful place to visit and such wonderful memories!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

How wonderful that you get to visit so many places, Carol, but you get to meet many new friends along the way.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a lovely place made only nicer by your visit with Sybil. I used to read her blog and miss hearing about her quaint English village life. Who knows when any of will be able to travel again so your posts have been full of wonderful memories to carry us over.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Buttercup, sorry to read about the injured digit in the previous post and sure hope you had a nice dinner using those frozen shrimp. I really enjoyed reading about Wiltshire and your visit was made even better by exploring with a friend. We also hoped to visit England by the end of this year but are now not sure if that will happen in 2020...maybe another year? I saw that you also had another comment by someone named Dorothy (my given name) who lives in PA; I reside in NH.

Mevely317 said...

First, I'm SO glad to hear your finger's healing nicely. Why is it, injuries to our digits seem overly painful.

These photos brought to mine a favorite song lyric, "I get a peaceful, easy feeling …" Can't wait to see your "x" selection tomorrow. You've got me stumped!

LC said...

I had no idea that Stonehenge was not the only such site. Your visit to Wiltshire was rich in history and personal connections. Looking forward to X.

Karen said...

CHARMING PHOTOS. LOOKING FORWARD TO TOMORROW'S POST.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hmmmm, Stonehenge... Would love to visit one day. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing your wonderful trip!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a great post about Wiltshire.
Take care.

All the best Jan