Powered by Blogger.

X Is for Xochimilco

X is for Xochimilco, of course!

When I first started planning this year's A to Z Challenge, I didn't think I could find a place for "X." I thought I would probably go with TeXas, but as I was going through my pictures I came across the area in Mexico City known as Xochimilco, and my problem was solved.

In the fall of 1977 my employer offered me the opportunity to attend a conference in Houston. My colleague, Ros, and I found an airfare that offered three stops for the same price as flying to Houston. We explored a lot of itineraries and found one that gave us two great stops in addition to going to Houston. We started with a long weekend in Mexico City -- where we visited the canal area of  Xochimilco -- flew to Houston for the conference and ended our trip with a weekend in New Orleans.

 Enjoying the boat ride at Xochimilco

I had a wonderful time in Mexico City. I enjoyed the fabulous Anthropology Museum -- unfortunately, no photographs -- our boat ride and a visit to the Pyramids of Mexico City. The Xochimilco area is connected by a system of canals that dates back approximately a thousand years. The canals were started to increase agricultural production and the floating gardens that developed were an important part of the economy of the Aztec Empire. The floating gardens and canals are now a major site for visitors and residents of Mexico City. 

Is this the Pyramid of the Sun or the Moon?

The Pyramids of the Sun and the Moon stand 2000 feet away from each other at Teotihuacan, an area thirty miles from Mexico City. The pyramids are approximately two thousand years old and were built along the ancient city's main road, now knows as the Avenue of the Dead. This was the first major archaeological site I'd ever seen and it created an eagerness to visit others. It was also the place where I discovered I have a fear of descending steep steps, especially when there's no railing and the steps are narrow.

We're coming to an end of our A to Z Challenge and we'll visit our last destinations tomorrow. The first is a country that no longer exists and then we'll be off to our final destination of our world tour. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love, wash your hands and watch out for your finger tips.   

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have really enjoyed this visit. I love watching shows about both the Aztec and Mya culture. Avenue Of the Dead, how interesting. So despite your fears, did you go up the steps? I'm afraid I would have gotten quite dizzy, and would have succumbed right then and there!

Dorothy In PA said...

I joined the "tour" late so I have only been to a few places. I am so enjoying looking at the photographs and reading the commentary.

I look forward to wherever we go or whatever we do next. My passport is current (smile).

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Mexico is a beautiful country, and I'm glad you were able to see the pyramids and other places. Congratulations on ending your world tour and the challenge!
Z is for Zakka

Kerin said...

Great job with X !
Looks like a beautiful place.

Keeping my finger tips safe..*smile*.

~K.

Karen said...

WONDERFUL THAT YOU HAVE VISITED ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL PLACES! THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Surprise trips and adventures are the best. That looks like a place that I would have loved to visit.

Theresa said...

ONLY YOU could come up with an X place:) It sounds like a great trip! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

JFM said...

Oh, how I love pyramids!
Great photo memories 🌷

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd call that making the most of an opportunity. Little did I know that Mexico had a canal system. First I've ever heard of it. Thanks always for sharing. I love seeing new places.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow!
Congratulations on a super 'X' post.

All the best Jan

LC said...

I was charmed by your creative use of opportunities your business travel created!