Powered by Blogger.

O Is for Oxford

Our A to Z Blogging Challenge takes us to Oxford, England

Two summers ago I had a wonderful visit to England. I met and stayed with one of my blog friends in Wiltshire and then spent a few days in Oxford. It was an ideal vacation, and one I couldn't have experienced without guidance from a friend who knew the area. I was able to visit places I'd only read about and one of them was Oxford. 

The seal of Magdalen College, where C.S. Lewis was a fellow

Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world, dating from the Eleventh Century. Many of the names we know from English history and literature are part of Oxford's history and traditions. The names are a catalogue of people who changed history, from John Wyclif in the Fourteenth Century to the philosopher John Locke to Edmund Halley of Halley's Comet Fame and John and Charles Wesley and right into our lifetime when C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien both taught at Oxford. It was definitely the most historic campus I've ever visited, as well as one of the most beautiful. 

I spent one afternoon visiting Magdalen College, one of the thirty-nine residential colleges that make up the University. I was part of a wonderful student led tour and enjoyed learning about the history of Magdalen and present day student life.  

When I stood in the dining room at Magdalen I felt I had walked into Hogwart's

Watching the punts on the Thames was one of my favorite times in Oxford. The punts -- small boats -- were first built in the Nineteenth Century to ship cargo on the Thames. Around 1860 the brightly colored boats began to be used for pleasure and they are still in use today. 

Always time for coffee

There's always time for coffee and my trip to Oxford was no exception. I couldn't resist this sign and the Grand Cafe was one of my coffee stops while in Oxford. 

I hope you've enjoyed our perfect summer day in Oxford and our travels in France yesterday. Rest up, we're off on an adventure tomorrow and I advise hiking boots. There will be a lot of walking, but it will be so worth it.     

Everything's going okay here. I've got my ups and downs, but the ups seem to outnumber the downs. I know New York will be the last to open up again and I don't want to get over enthusiastic about venturing out again. As my mother always said, "When it's meant to be it will be," and I keep that in mind. 

As ever, thanks for  visiting and take care. Much love and wash your hands! 


7 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, how steeped in history and genius! I had no idea that Oxford is made up of many smaller colleges!! Oh, how I would love to go to that café for high tea. I have no favorite picture today, they are all equally wonderful!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely places, Oxford is a beautiful city! Love the punts!
R is for Rayures

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

All the pictures were lovely but I especially liked the picture of the punts.

Glad you are doing well and your mom was absolutely right. The time will come when it is OK to go out and about. Right now, with shortsightedness, some states are asking their citizens to open up businesses and play a game of Russian roulette. My thought is that this cannot end unless we all do it right. One only has to look at history.

Kerin said...

Beautiful!
I love, love the old buildings and rich history.

~K.

P.S. Soon everything will be good and life will go on :)

Theresa said...

Beautiful pictures! I know that you enjoyed your visit and back again thru this post. Have a blessed day dear friend, I love what your Mother said... SO TRUE! HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oxford is also a college town in Ohio. I've never been there either, but one of of my grandchildren goes there. I enjoyed a trip to Oxford England and look forward to comparing their differences. Good to hear you are having more ups than downs there, Same here. Every day is truly a new adventure.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you so much …
I did enjoy this perfect summer day in Oxford.

All the best Jan