Powered by Blogger.

N Is for Normandy

This stop on our A to Z trip is Deauville, Normandy

We've gone 5700 miles from the Amazon to a destination that's the exact opposite in almost every way. We're in Northern France in the area best known for the D-Day landing beaches. We're going down the coast of France about an hour from Omaha beach to Deauville. Deauville is a beautiful beach resort town two hours north of Paris. If this photograph looks vaguely familiar it's because the Impressionist painters often painted in the towns near Deauville. 

One of my favorite activities when I'm traveling -- and when I'm at home, too -- is going to markets. The market at Deauville was one of my favorites, with beautiful vegetables, fruit and flowers. Normandy is a center of agriculture for France, especially known for its production of dairy and fruit. It's the home of Camembert cheese and  Calvados, the spirit distilled from cider. 

 I wish I could have taken home jars of the raspberry jam. 

I didn't do any cooking while I was in Deauville, but I'd love 
to be able to shop for those beautiful vegetables today.  

As long as we're in France and only a few hours away from Paris, let's take a quick trip to Paris. I haven't been in Paris in almost twenty years, but I was there a number of times from 1981 to 2001. Ironically, it was the place I visited the most because I absolutely love Paris, but I have very few pictures of those wonderful visits. I do have a few pictures and these are two of my favorites. 

This is the Church of St-Merri, a Sixteenth Century Gothic style church, surrounded by Pop Art sculpture. It was named for Saint Mederic, the Patron saint of the Right Bank of Paris. Paris is divided by the River Seine into the Right Bank and the Left Bank. 

  L'Arc-en-Ciel, a Rainbow in the sky over Paris, and a rainbow is my wish for all of us!

I've had the best time returning to Normandy and Paris. I hope you've enjoyed it, too. We're staying in Europe for the next stop on our itinerary and it's just a quick hop from Paris. But after "O" we've got some long distance travel. Rest up, friends,  we're going to have a busy week, literally circling the globe. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands. 

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your photos of Paris are really dreamy. And I did not know any of these things about Normandy! Again, I have learned quite a bit.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

You are welcome to come back when you want! I'm leaving on the North-East side of France, the Champagne area. Another welcoming place to visit ;)
Q is for Quilting Longarm

Kerin said...

The Farmer's market looks like a wonderful place to visit!

Have a happy day.
~K.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Since no one can travel right now your trips are especially appreciated. I love markets like that with fresh fruits and vegetables available. Hopefully I'll get t see some of our local ones this summer, but who knows If we'll have them or not. I hope so. Armchilr traveling is about all we get these days.

Mevely317 said...

That market looks so inviting! Armchair travelling is the stuff dreams are made of … thanks for these delightful prompts.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's so nice to see your travel photos and enjoy a glimpse of the places you've been! Stay safe and healthy my friend. I hope you are still able to get the things you need delivered to you. Hugs!

vesseys said...

I too love going to the marketplaces wherever we go. They are so full of life (usually.)
Thanks for a nice trip into France.

Happy A to Z journey

The Letter Q

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Since we can't travel anywhere now and in fact cancelled an upcoming trip, your posts have been wonderful excursions, Buttercup. Thanks for sharing your experiences through words and photos. So many places I would also like to visit and revisit and Paris is one of them as I went only once, many many years ago.

Chatty Crone said...

Nice to go somewhere - learn something - and not having to leave the house - as I can't anyway. Although GA is opening up this Friday. :( I learned a lot I did not know - thanks. sandie

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have always wanted to go to Paris.