Powered by Blogger.

P Is for Petra

Our next A to Z stop is Petra, Jordan 

I hope you brought your hiking shoes because we're going to walk miles through one of the greatest archaeological sites in the world, Petra, Jordan. My memories of Petra go back to 1997. It's difficult to remember the exact buildings I saw in Petra, but I can remember the feeling of awe when I saw the red rocks of Petra. I was visiting friends in Israel and was able to take a side trip to Jordan. My friend, Pat and I joined a small travel group with people from all over the world. It was a short trip, but with so much to see. Don't put your hiking boots away, because we're visiting a second desert site later in our travels.  

We walk through the rock passage above and we begin to see the The Treasury
This is the most legendary building in Petra, its exact purpose unknown.  

Petra was the capital of the Nabateans, an Arab tribe originating in the Arabian peninsula. They  settled in Petra, 200 miles south of Amman, in the fourth century BCE. Petra developed into a major trading city, particularly of frankincense, myrrh and spices. In the first century CE Petra became part of the Roman Empire. But changes in trade routes and a massive earthquake in the fourth century changed the destiny of Petra and, for a reason not determined, the Nabateans abandoned their extraordinary city and disappeared from the  course of history. What remains are the monuments they left behind in the desert. 

 One of the monumental remains of Petra

We've now visited three of the New Seven Wonders of the World: Petra, the Taj Mahal and Machu Picchu. We will travel to one more new wonder in the next few days, but we won't need our hiking shoes for that visit. One small hint: our next wonder of the world is much more easily accessible and a relatively quick flight (3000 miles) from New York, instead of a 5500 mile flight, a long drive into the desert and then five miles of walking through Petra. 

I've really enjoyed my desktop travels. Not unlike preparing for an actual journey, I prepare for each blogging trip. I choose destinations, sort and select photographs and then research our destination for the day. I'm surprised at how long it takes me to write a post, but with each destination I generally spend a couple of hours reading about where we are going and its history. Is it as good as traveling? No, not at all, but it's been fun and interesting re-learning about places I've visited and enjoyed, and fun, too, sharing these places. 

In this spirit, please pack up your hiking boots for awhile and get your bathing suit and sunscreen ready. We're flying 5,002 miles, starting in Amman and flying to Quatar, where we will make our first flight change. Two more flights and then we arrive at our non-desert destination. Yes, it's a lot of travel, but I know you will enjoy our next stop. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands!  

9 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Petra! I saw a T.V. show about it! They theorized that when the earthquake happened, water poured through that rock passage in a great flood and most of the people were drowned. GREAT pictures! The rock passage is fabulous, awe inspiring.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, Petra... One day I will visit this amazing place, for sure! Thanks for the tour ;)
S is for Scherenschnitte

Kerin said...

Whenever I see pictures of Petra, it always amazes me at just how massive it is... people look very tiny comparatively.

Thanks for the pictures, and travel stories!

~K.

Lynda said...

This was truly interesting. I do not know that I have ever heard of this place.
You remind me so much of a friend of the family we had years ago. She was a brilliant woman who was an excellent adult educator. She worked for NYS in Albany and was one who set policies and taught seminars etc.
Anyway, when she was young and reading geography books, she told her mom she wanted to visit the places. Her mom told her education was the key to making enough money to travel because education would enable a person to get a good job.
That is what Lois did - - - got a great education, a very good job, and she traveled. We were blessed to go with her on a couple of small excursions in my teenage years. Two that were most memorable was the 1967 World Expo in Montreal and visiting her their family vacation cottage in Cape Cod. We went on many a tourist attraction there. It was fascinating to us how different things were by the ocean as opposed to the country atmosphere of Grandpa's Dairy Farm in Schoharie County (NY).

JFM said...

Such a facinating and beautiful place🌷

Mevely317 said...

Awe-inspiring! I can only imagine what it must have felt like to stand there. I'm enjoying this series so much!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The picture of that deserted city does give me pause for thought in these days we're fighting for our own existence. Beautiful place with lots of history.

Chatty Crone said...

It is hard to believe that it is that old and people had such knowledge back then. Then they left it to ruins.
Have you been to all the 7 wonders of the world?
sandiae

Star said...

The Rock passage looks a little scary but I still would have love walking through it