Powered by Blogger.

Shine On

Shine On -- music and lights at Hudson Yards

In April 2018 I wrote about the then mostly unfinished Hudson Yards project as part of the A to Z subway series. Hudson Yards is a new neighborhood on the far west side of Manhattan. When it's completed in 2024 it is projected to include a mix of eighteen million square feet of residential and commercial space. I wrote about the subway station for the area that opened last year, but I hadn't explored it until this week. I met friends there on Thursday for lunch and was fascinated by the area. I noted that there was a music and lights show, Shine On, every night at 5:00 p.m. and decided I needed to add it to our Buttercupland adventures for 2019. I am very glad I did. 

The show takes place inside, perhaps, the most elegant shopping mall in New York. I've only explored the first floor -- there are five floors -- and the very nice Spanish food court in the basement, -- and the stores I've seen are a little out of Buttercup's shopping budget. But it's fun to window shop and I plan to be back after Christmas for further exploration. It will be a great place to get in my walking on cold, cold days.   

I loved the light show, especially the jellyfish. 

The music and light show was terrific. The designs change in time to the classical music and it's so creative and pretty. One amazing plus, which may not be a plus for long, is that it's not wall-to-wall people. There are a lot of people, but there's more than enough room to stand back, take pictures and just enjoy the music and the lights. New York friends or visitors to New York, the performance is on every night through January 5 and it's definitely worth the visit. 

While classical music is played inside, Christmas music is played outside, along with a bright light show. 
 I arrived just at sunset, but in time for the light show outdoors. 
The building on the left is the highest observation deck in North America, Vessel.

A different perspective of the same sculpture during the daytime. 

It's been a great season. Enjoyed visits with friends from out of town, including friends of long-standing. Gifts are bought and for probably the fiftieth year in a row I've realized that all of my cards won't be there by Christmas, and this year I'm okay with that. Fun got me sidetracked and I'm grateful for the good times. I spent yesterday celebrating my friend and colleague, Brenda on her retirement, and it was a special treat visiting with my long-time colleagues. Our Division's retirement group is growing larger and it's great when we get together.

   The Retirees Club celebrates its newest member

I hope you've had as much fun as I have during this holiday season. What have been your special moments to cherish?

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and savor every sweet moment of the season.  

7 comments

Brenda said...

Beautiful write-up. I will definitely visit the area now that I have free time. Thank you so much for including me. Peace and blessings. ��

Linda said...

NYC def. has a lot to offer, smiles. Happy Retirement to the newest member of your group, smiles.

Waving to Pepe and his pals, smiles.

Chatty Crone said...

I have just loved exploring New York with you - wish I could see it in person. I never even knew of that mall and five floors. A Spanish food court - interesting.
I am going to take this next week off for Christmas - but I just wanted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Happy New Year!
Love, sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Happy Hanukah. Sounds like you've had a wonderful time being out and about during this holiday season. what a marvelous light show. it looks spectacular.

Susie said...

Happy holidays Carol. I always enjoy seeing your beautiful city. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Theresa said...

Beautiful displays and great time with friends, MY FAVORITE! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Buttercup for showing that NYC does have some beautiful sights worth exploring not only at the holidays but anytime.