Powered by Blogger.

We Could All Use a Little Kindness


I don't think I've ever watched an entire episode of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I watched almost no daytime television from 1968-2013, so there are entire cultural trends I am (mostly) unfamiliar with. Mr. Rogers is one of them. I've watched short clips and read articles, but not much more. This has been a cold and rainy few days and in an effort to get some "feel good" I saw "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood," a film with Tom Hanks playing Fred Rogers.

I'm a fan of movies, but for some reason I can't quite figure, I've seen very few movies this year. I can barely remember anything I have seen. But A Beautiful Day...will stick in my memory. It's not a great movie, but it's a very engrossing movie and it's a wonderful feel-good movie, and heaven knows we can all use a feel-good movie these days. I'm not a film critic by profession, but by virtue of this blog, I get to be one. I'm reasonably sure my friends in Buttercupland would enjoy this movie very much. I'm rating it G for go and see it, and remember to bring tissues.

For readers of Guideposts -- count me in -- the December/January 2020 issue includes an article with Joanne Rogers, Mrs. Rogers. It was very interesting and gave me some  background about the real Mr. Rogers. The one slight quibble I have with the film is that I would have liked to see more about Fred Rogers personal life and the article answered some of my questions.

Despite the chill and the rain, it's been a good weekend. I've made good headway on my cards and even wrapped a gift. I've continued decluttering -- lots and lots of shredding -- and started my holiday decoration photography. I braved Midtown Manhattan and have photos for at least two blog posts. I will officially begin the 2019 holiday posts on Thanksgiving Day, so please stop by and visit.

As ever, thanks for visting and have a great week!   

11 comments

Becki said...

I was 9 when Mr. Rogers first aired. A little old for the target audience, but I loved Mr. Rogers. :) Looking forward to seeing the movie.

16 blessings'mom said...

I used to absolutely love watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood! When I was a kid, our t.v. viewing was very limited, no cable, and a mom who scooted us out the door to play. So what we did get to watch, we enjoyed. I went to see this movie tonight with my daughter, Sonja K., she is 17. We liked it a lot. I liked how he was humble, and he listened, and he was so thankful. Tom Hanks did a really good job.
Della

Sam I Am...... said...

I never go to movies but I will wait patiently until it is on t.v. My children watched Mr. Rodgers and I was a big fan. When they talk about Angels Among Us I think he was probably one.
I must admit I also remember a very funny skit that SNL did on him.
I too am a big coffee fan....medium roast and a cozy mystery fan...I can't take anything with gore or violence as I read before bed and I want none of those thoughts going off to dreamland! LOL!
I'm looking forward to your Thanksgiving posts from NYC! I watch Brooklyn Knitfolk's podcast and she does a VLOG from NYC with all the decorations etc. leading up to Christmas. Quite wonderful for people like me who will never get there. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Denise said...

I really enjoyed Mr. Rogers when my boys were growing up. Last year I watched the documentary Won't You be My Neighbor while sitting in First Class and cried. Luckily the guy next to me was sleeping. This movie with Tom Hanks is on my 'must-see' list.

Theresa said...

I have seen lots about this movie on TV but haven't seen it yet. I watched Mr. Rogers when the kids were little. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Susie said...

Carol, I will be trying to see this movie. Thanks for all the info. Blessings to you. Have a fun filled Thanksgiving. Be safe. xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've always loved Mr. Rogers and will certainty see the film. Have a beautiful day in your neighborhood!

Mevely317 said...

Actually, I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who never watched Mr. Rogers Neighborhood! Nevertheless, I LOVE Tom Hanks and I'm all for more kindness -- wherever it manifests itself.

Chatty Crone said...

I knew we were kindred spirits - I went to see it last night and it was GREAT. I did watch Mr. Rogers with my kids though - he was one of my heroes! Loved it. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

i agree a little bit of kindness goes a long way. it can make all the difference in a persons day. love mr. rodgers. definitely need a dose of what he's saying.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I am so looking forward to seeing this movie. Hope it comes out on DVD soon so I can borrow it from the library.