Powered by Blogger.

Fifty Six Years Ago

Ask not what your country can do for you...

Fifty six years ago today I know exactly what I was doing. I was in Miss Naylor's Home Ec class when I heard the news that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. I can pretty much trace every step for the rest of November 22, 1963 fifty-six years later. I don't always remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but that overcast Friday is etched in my mind. 

As I was getting ready to write this post I thought about how I could make this "fresh." I thought for awhile and then I stopped trying. The day President Kennedy was shot is frozen in amber. My memories are those of my thirteen year old self. This day doesn't lend itself to new reflection. I am once again back in Home Ec, I am talking to Timmy Sullivan in the school yard -- now of blessed memory -- and watching television with my parents in the den and crying. Every year for 56 years I have mourned our handsome and inspiring 35th President. I have learned in those fifty-six years that time will go by, but the mourning is never ending. 

"And so, my fellow Americans:
Ask not what your country can do for you,
Ask what you will do for your country.

John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address,
January 20, 1961

8 comments

LC said...

A dark time.

Chatty Crone said...

I was in 5th grade and my teacher walked in the room and burst into tears and told us. I'll never forget.

Ginny Hartzler said...

You and I were both in school when we heard the news. You are so right in your reflections about how it is frozen in amber, and I love the words you used to say this. I remember our teacher came in crying and told us. They let school out early and I walked home.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hrrd to believe it's been so many years ago and still our memories are so fresh. I guess somethings we just never forget.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I will never forget that day. I am always very aware of November 22nd.

Theresa said...

I will never forget that day! What a great President and a very sad day for our Country! HUGS!

Mevely317 said...

Like you, that day and the next are frozen in my consciousness. I feel so blessed to have friends 'old enough' to remember, as well.

Hootin Anni said...

I remember it well. Sad times, a broken country.