Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Signs of Spring


My Urban Oasis, West Side Community Garden
Our spot for this week's Pink Saturday 
 
It's not famous and I've never seen it on a list of ten (or twenty) top New York attractions, but the West Side Community Garden is on the Buttercup top ten of favorite places. Besides being a public garden, cultivated by volunteers, there are a host of fun, local events. I love the annual Arts and Crafts Festival and the Shakespeare performances that take place there, just two blocks from home. 
 
 
The Garden, which began in 1976 as a trash-filled vacant lot, sits among high-rise apartment buildings and smaller three story buildings. A public school is across the street and our local 7-11 is half a block away. It's exactly halfway between Trader Joes and home and I usually stop and rest for a few minutes with my groceries. These pictures were taken during one of my rest stops earlier in the week. Very soon it will be filled with flowers, but right now it only holds the promise of spring.  
 
I know where to look for the flowers of spring. Thanks for the guide signs, gardeners.
 

 
I thought the Garden only held the promise of spring, but as I looked more carefully, I saw that the first flowers of 2019 have appeared. Welcome, Snow Drops! We're so glad you're here.
 
I'm still not 100% at recovery for my hip, but I've gone back to the gym and added some leg exercises to my mix without any problem. I'm doing my walking, though not at the mileage I was doing before the surgery. But I'm heeding the advice to take it easy and holding back my innate impatience.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and have a very happy St. Patrick's Day! 
 

7 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! I loved seeing your community garden. How nice it's close by to you. Glad you are heading the advice and taking it easy. What a blessing it is to be able to walk and see and smell Spring coming our way. Just a couple days now!

Louca por porcelana said...

Great signs of Spring...It is such happpiness to have a garden...I have a "garden vase" and it is so good even so!My parents have a garden with a great variety of plants.So much work in their eighties,but lot of pleasure too...Sorry for my bad English!Hugs!Best wishes!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

The garden must look so pretty in the spring with all of the flowers blooming. I can't believe that this week is the start of spring and so happy that winter will be over soon. Hope you are healing from your surgery. Thanks for the lovely visit. Enjoy your week. :)

TARYTERRE said...

happy st. patricks day.

Theresa said...

Signs of Spring showing here too:) I am ready for some pretty days and warmer weather. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Pam said...

Love those signs of Spring, unfortunately not here in Chicago area yet. Take care

Susie said...

Carol, You are wise not to over do...Once you get healed properly, you can walk or run whenever you like. I love your little resting garden. It was nice to see those little flowers. I can't wait. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie