Powered by Blogger.

Angels We Have Heard on High

The Neapolitan Creche at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
 
From time to time I worry that the holiday posts are repetitive. I visit many of the same places every year. But then I remember that it wouldn't be Christmas in New York without the windows on Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center and what may be the most beautiful sight in all of New York City at this time of year, the Christmas tree and Neapolitan Baroque Creche at the Metropolitan Museum.
 
Yesterday I spent the day at the museum with one of my favorite museum going friends, Nancy. The majority of our visit was primarily split between a vast and wonderfully assembled exhibition of the French artist, Delacroix and a wonderful afternoon of catching up in one of the restaurants at the museum. But our first stop was at the Christmas tree and creche. 
 
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Christmas tree
 
This annual tradition began in 1957. The link above gives an outstanding description of the history of the collection and the history of Neapolitan nativity scenes. I had thought that the figures put in the same places in the display every year, but learned that they vary from year to year. Perhaps my favorite part of the display are the large angels that are placed on the tree. Each one is exquisite.
 
I may not make a return visit to Rockefeller Center -- particularly if it turns much colder -- but I am pretty sure I will find an evening to return to the museum and see the tree's lights and hear the music playing in the background.
 
What are your favorite traditions at this time of year? Are there local sights that are "must-sees" on your calendar?
 
I spent most of today at my pre-op appointment for next month's hip replacement. After it was over I realized I had a lot more anxiety than I was aware of. I've got three weeks before the surgery and now I'm going to move it to the back of my mind and enjoy the good times of the season. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Keep cozy!
 

5 comments

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That tree is magnificent and something that most of us will never get to see. Thank you for posting this.

I understand your anxiety, Carol. I have friends that have had that surgery recently and their quality of life has increased substantially. NY has many of the best hospitals and they will take good care of you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful Christmas display. I'd never seen it before and am thankful for your sharing. I could easily spend some time just trying to take it all in. So much to see. Having surgery lurking in the future would make one very thankful for the present moments. But just thinking about how much better you will be when it's done and over is something to be exited about too. Will be keeping you in my prayers and wishing you only the best for the New Year!

TARYTERRE said...

what a breathtaking display.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

My husband had a hip replacement at age 42 due to arthritis. He recovered well and I’m sure you will too! Praying!

Melinda said...

Love the beautiful pictures!

Sending prayers for an easy surgery and
recovery. Please keep us posted.

M : )