Powered by Blogger.

Behind the Scenes at Koala Cuddle Time


Please have your camera ready and don't forget to smile!
 
Despite what some may think I didn't fly 10,000 plus miles -- each way -- just to cuddle a koala. I wanted to see the Sydney Opera House, spend time in the Outback and at the Great Barrier Reef and learn more about the history and culture of Australia. But I would be misleading if I didn't add that I wasn't going all the way to Australia and not cuddle a koala. I joined members of our group for a train ride to Kurunda -- a town that looks like Woodstock, NY, if Woodstock was situated in a World Heritage tropical rain forest. A smaller group went on to Kurunda Koala Gardens for our thirty seconds with a koala. 
 

A number of friends have asked about koala cuddling. Was Kiki -- the koala our group cuddled -- soft? Was I afraid of Kiki's nails? Was it extraordinary? Maybe, no and yes, but it flew by a heartbeat. Was it worth it? Yes! When we arrived our group got into the koala line and prepared for our time with Kiki. It was very structured and permitted large numbers to go through quickly without stressing the koala. The photograph above shows the background for the photographs. When my time arrived I stood as instructed, gave my ready camera to a member of the staff and Kiki was given to me to hold. There are a few additional photos in the series, but I thought these two would show the process leading up to my final photograph.

Staff member hands me Kiki, making sure that Kiki will not fall. I so did not want to be the tourist who dropped the koala. Would I be on the first plane out of Cairns if that happened?
Without a doubt!

Kiki and I settle in. She is totally at ease -- based on body language -- but I am still concerned abut dropping her.  

Me and Kiki -- koala love!
 
After I washed my hands and collected my belongings I spent time seeing other animals. It was a great time -- though very hot -- and meeting Kiki and friends was a high point of my trip. I finished my visit to Kurunda with a stop at Fruibies, an organic tropical fruit bar and -- fresh, local, organic, vegan and delicious -- and had a Dragon Fire smoothy. It consisted of a dragon fruit, ginger and mango and it was perfect treat for a day in the rain forest.

After the visit to Kurunda we rode in the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway over the rain forest canopy. The ride was beautiful and anticipating questions, not scary. The only tricky part for me was getting in and out of the cars while they were moving.   

 

This was part of the scenery going and returning from Kurunda.
 
We continue the animal theme tomorrow with the question "Would Kiki/Tas/Roo be happy? Please stop by for further animal adventures in Australia.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.  
 

5 comments

Dee said...

Dear Carol, I'm just loving the photographs and text you've posted about your Australia visit. I've never really seen a koala's arms/hands up close and so the size of the nails surprised me. You look both happy and just a little apprehensive! Your postings make me--for the first time--really want to visit the vastness of Australia. Peace.

TARYTERRE said...

i loved seeing behind the scenes of your koala cuddling. interesting, indeed.

Mevely317 said...

Me, too! But having such a brief time would be super disappointing. Where's the opportunity to bond? (*smile*)

Paula said...

I have a picture of me with a koala bear too. Isn't it wonderful how they feel. Their little leather-like behinds. But those claws are sharp!

Annesphamily said...

A sweet photo share! We once waited for hours to see a Koala bear on loan from another zoo when my oldest daughter was a young child. By the time it was our turn that little critter was fast asleep. Back then she was able to ride an elephant and a camel. Today so many lack attention spans and do not heed direction and instruction so these days, here in the states seem to be long gone.
I am happy you had such a sweet experience.
:-)