Powered by Blogger.

I'm a Coin Roller...

 
...And other quirks of the past. 


In 2012 I wrote a series of posts entitled, "Do You Still..." I wrote about wearing a watch and alarm clocks and other outdated and quirky habits. I was rolling coins this week and it struck me that this qualified for an updated "Do You Still..." post.

I've rolled literally thousands of dollars worth of coins in the last almost fifty years. My coin rolling career began when I was a waitress in college. Most of my income came in coins -- lot of fifty cent tips in 1969 -- and in order to deposit them, they needed to be rolled. I no longer waitress, but I still save change and deposit it in the bank.

I've tried every sort of coin rolling device, short of buying a commercial one that banks use. I long ago decided that simply counting the coins and rolling them was the least complicated and fastest for me. One of the banks had coin counting machines, but alas, they were removed in the last year. I loved the ease, but when they were disconnected I returned to my old-fashioned quirky habit. I don't keep up as well as I did when all I had to do was put my coins in a bag and walk over to the bank, but usually every two weeks I've got a roll or two to deposit. I keep my coins in an old can and when the lid no longer fits I get busy.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this quirky habit. Any other coin rollers in Buttercupland?

I'll be back tomorrow for Pink Saturday on Sunday. The high point of the week was getting to the gym three times, which may be a first for me.  Last week, we had some nice weather as well as some cold and rainy weather, so on the rainy days it was great to get exercise indoors.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and keep cozy!

14 comments

Paula said...

I used to roll coins too. I don't any longer because I keep them separated in mason jars on my kitchen counter and when the teens need money that is where I send them. I took a big jar of coins to the bank a few years ago and they charged me to count them and deposit them into my account. And it took several days because they sent them to another city. I thought that was strange.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

my spare change is in a big jar too

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We save change in jars, but we don't roll them anymore. We just take them to a bank or place with a coin machine and let it count it all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, One of the things I love about blogging is the memories that friends' posts bring to mind. My dad hated to carry change in his suit pockets, so he would place the coins in a container on his desk. My mom and I would roll the coins....it was like "free" money! lol

TARYTERRE said...

Coinstar does it for me. But as for wearing a watch until last year you had to wrestle it off my wrist. Now I just look at my cellphone.

Denise said...

I'm a coin roller. I too bought a machine but found it was faster without it. And I refuse to pay a machine to count them for me. If I had money for that, I wouldn't be saving my change.

From the Kitchen said...

I've done this but not for a long time. I try to do as my husband does--make sure to spend the change and not let it pile up.

Best,
Bonnie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My husband still rolls coins and takes them to the bank. It's cool here this weekend but hopefully I can get out for a walk later today. Enjoy your day! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Now a days I take the easy way out and go to the bank and let them do it. They do mount up and when my purse feels heavy I know it's time to empty the coins out. Glad you got out to the gym. Here i've spent way too much time indoors. Happy Sunday !

peggy said...

I roll coins too and some of my wrappers are pretty old. I'm not putting my money in those machines that do it for ya!!!!

Theresa said...

I haven't rolled coins in years! We keep them in mason jars and grab a handful here and there when we go on trips! They are nice to have for the vending machines! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Mevely317 said...

Wonderful memory!
True story: Several years ago Tom found some sleeves and rolled quarters for our upcoming trip to Vegas. I don't think we ever DID find a slot machine that accepted "real" coins!

Janet said...

I save coins too and then take them to Reno and let the cashier count them in their machines. That's our first bit of gambling money.

Anne Payne said...

I have rolled many many coins, yes. It's so easy now to just take them to the bank and put them in the roller. :-)