Powered by Blogger.

Gift Shop Pink Saturday

One of the things I was concerned about when I retired eighteen months ago was shopping. I hadn't done much shopping in the last few years I was working, but I was worried that with all of my new free time I would be shopping all the time -- bad for this retiree's budget and bad for bringing more clutter into my one bedroom apartment. I made a conscious decision to think twice before buying anything and after the first year of retirement went by it became less of a temptation. I am feeling much more relieved about this issue. I'm a looker and a picture taker, but I'm not a big shopper and I do think twice -- or three times -- before I make a purchase.

I still have a lot of temptation in museum gift shops, a lot. But I've found that taking pictures of the things that catch my eye goes a long way to stop random purchases. Usually when I look through my pictures I reconsider my eagerness to buy. The only thing I've bought after picture taking is the Madeline doll I saw about the New York Historical Society. It made the perfect baby present. Last Sunday I took lots of pictures at the Brooklyn Museum gift shop and I'm happy to share them for our Pink Saturday fun.


These plastic shoe necklaces caught my eye. I wasn't tempted, but I thought they were perfect for Pink Saturday.
 

  I was slightly more tempted by these fun earrings, but held myself back. I'm glad I restrained myself. They are fun, but I would probably wear them once and they would end up in the back of my top drawer. I love to look at jewelry, but seem to wear the same two pairs of earrings 95% of the time. Do you change your earrings or do you stick with a few favorites?
 
Love these pillows! I think they would make great gifts.
 
So would these fabulous Brooklyn dish towels. I'm going to a shower in May and I think these would be a fun addition to my gift.
 
Chocolate -- always the perfect purchase. The wrappers on these chocolate bars are among the loveliest I've seen. 
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed our Pink Saturday shopping fun. I know I have. Please stop by Pink Saturday and enjoy the great posts.
 
Despite the still winter weather I had a great weekend. My friend Lonni came to visit and we had a fabulous time at the Radio City Spring Spectacular. Please visit tomorrow for pictures.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and wishes for a springtime Monday! 

8 comments

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, I do love the tea towels. So glad you and your friend had a nice day. I look forward to the photos. Have a good evening.

Mevely317 said...

Wow ... did I just read those shoe necklaces' price tags right?!?

I think I know what you mean about restraint. I call it, my 'cooling off' period; if I still want something a week - or a month - after the fact, I'll probably go ahead. Taking pictures is such a great idea!

Great knowing you n' Lonni had an enjoyable visit!

Annesphamily said...

You are such a strong willed gal! We have been in our garage a few times and the stuff there is overwhelming! I am much better about looking than buying than I use to be, especially now with my job loss. Love all those colorful shares. Such quirky necklaces and earrings. I love color and fun! You are such a dear to my heart and I am grateful I have known you here. Have a beautiful week, Anne

Sola Scriptura said...

Good for you to resist temptation! I rarely go shopping as I find myself buying things I really don't need (like chocolate). As far as earrings, I have a few really good pairs that I always wear and a handful of other cute pairs which I never wear. Go figure.

TARYTERRE said...

I just read about the Radio City Spring Spectacular with Derek Hough and the Rockettes. I hear it is wonderful. Hope you enjoyed every minute. I find that blinking things I want into permanence keeps me from overspending too. It's a trick I have perfected for the past ten years or so. Love those dishtowels though. I'd be tempted too.

Stephanie said...

Looks like a fun little place to shop...those necklaces are quite pretty and unique! Hugs

Susie said...

Buttercup, I love the pillows and that Brooklyn towel. I would love that in my kitchen. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
p.s. hope you are having nicer weather...we just had a covering of sleet. Blast .

Theresa said...

I also snap pics instead of purchasing! Funny how that is the next best thing:) LOVE those bright colored earrings! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!