Powered by Blogger.

Museum Mile


One of my favorite areas of New York City is Fifth Avenue in the ten blocks below East 96th Street. It's called Museum Mile because there seems to be a museum on just about every block.

Looking north on Fifth Avenue from the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum is big and takes up the blocks from East 79th Street to East 85th Street.

The Guggenheim Museum at East 89th Street, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

Not as well known is the National Academy Museum, at East 90th Street. It was founded in 1825, and  members have included Winslow Homer, Jasper Johns and Andrew Wyeth. 

One of my favorites is the Cooper-Hewitt, the National Design Museum. It is currently under renovation and I liked the sign a lot. 

Just a block uptown is the Jewish Museum. I've gone to some wonderful exhibits here, ranging from one of the works of Camille Pisarro to an exhibit on "Curious George."

I don't get over here as often as I would like, but on the next block is my surgeon's office. The walk here for my follow-up checkup was lovely and much nicer than the original visit last month. What a difference a month makes in life!

I've now been back at work for three days and I am tired. I'd developed a slight case of amnesia about the fatigue that sets in after a full day of work and commuting.  I'm not complaining, because I am glad to be able to work, but I do miss the time and energy to blog, catch up on email and read the entire New York Times each day. No more leisurely week days with a cup of coffee and the paper.

Wishes for a good and healthy week! 

14 comments

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Museum Mile looks like a great destination during a trip to NYC.

Hope the week isn't too tiring for you!

Anonymous said...

My niece visited many of these sights on her 30th bdy trip to NY. I enjoyed your photos. Hope you will get a chance to rest well this weekend.

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE museums. To have one on every block must be so-oo amazing. You are very lucky to live in such a fantastic place. This weekend try to catch up on the things you've missed out on since going back to work, including a little extra sleep. Take care.

Sheilagh said...

Hope to visit one or two museums next year when Trish and I do our trip:) Getting excited already...

You take it easy this weekend my friend, good to know you are fit for work again. Look after yourself please.

love n hugs

Sheilagh
xx

Marie Rayner said...

Have always wanted to visit NYC. Am enjoying it always through your eyes. I reiterate what Sheila said, take care of yourself. xx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love that sign in the window about ME time. I think that is just what I felt like when retirement finally came. After all those years of working It was time for ME. I think I've done well at it too. Hope the rest of your work week goes well and that you can have a restful weekend.

Theresa said...

Beautiful walk! I would love to be there for a couple of days and visit each one! Have a blessed but busy day, here too:) HUGS!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i love visitng you here....

happy to stop by

kary and teddy
xx

Chatty Crone said...

I hope you get some rest this weekend - I think when you are out for surgery and come back - you have to expect to be tired for a couple of weeks! sandie

Cathyjo said...

I sure hope you get a lot of fun and restfull weekends. How long have you lived in NY? I just love all your pictures of it. I left in 53 and never a chance to retrun. I left my heart their in away.Take Care.((Hugs))

Lynda said...

I love your pics. The architecture reminds me of my childhood home - - - upstate NY around Albany. I am happy for you, too, that it's almost the weekend. Make sure you are getting enough protein each day and plenty of good fluids. They will help your energy level and your immunity. You don't want to give a germ a chance while you are recovering.

Melinda said...

What a nice variety of choices for you to choose from.
Lucky you!

Melinda

Happy Fall!

Sybil said...

How wonderful to be surrounded by so many mseums...and to take time to visit them.. my problem is that I love the idea but rarely get round to putting the visiting into action !! one day one day...
Thank you as always for sharing your beautiful city..
hope you have a good restful weekend.
much Love Sybil xx

Nancy M. said...

It would be so awesome to have that many museums nearby! I love visiting and learning about history and different things.