Powered by Blogger.

Forty Years On

I had few expectations for this reunion. All I hoped to do was have an enjoyable time and catch up with my college roommate, Jane, and our friend, Jeannie. I had a place of sadness in my heart about my college days and did not expect that it would or even could be filled. Recently I had become friendly, via email, with another classmate, Mona, who assured me that reunions were a wonderful way to relate to the college as an adult. I acknowledged her advice, but didn't think it would work for me. 

The Mount Holyoke College Art Museum

Preparing to march in the Alumnae Parade

The officers of the class of 1972 

My sadness centered around losing touch with some of my closest friends from college. I found it difficult to imagine returning to the college without my entire group of friends. Mona's advice was very clear, "Don't worry about it. You will make new friends." I doubted that people would be that friendly. I was wrong about this and Mona was completely correct. 

Our class, on the left, cheers on the class of 1947

What a warm, friendly and bright group of women! It was a wonderful weekend. I found the parade particularly moving, especially when I saw the women of the class of 1947 who had returned to campus. I so hope to be able to return to campus for my 65th reunion. We had a reception at the Art Museum, a formal dinner and ceremony in memory of our classmates who have died, a class meeting and a terrific program on the next phase of our lives. We also had warmth, laughter, concern and caring. Whatever sad feelings I had are now in the past. 

It isn't often that we have an opportunity to move so completely forward into the future, without sadness or regret. I was given that opportunity this weekend and I am profoundly grateful.  Here's to my our 45th! 



22 comments

Melinda said...

Glad to hear that you had such a good time. Aren't you glad the that you went?

Come by sometime--have missed seeing you.

melinda

Unknown said...

I know you had a ball , Carol! Glad you were able to attend. How'd it go with the class ring?

TTFN ~
Have a beautiful week ~
Hugs
Marydon

Terra said...

Buttercup, I am happy for you that you dared to go and had such a good experience. I've never attended any reunions, high school or college. It would be a big deal involving flying there and I didn't keep in touch with my college chums.

Rebecca said...

Yay! It sounds like you got the key lime pie AND the stick!

Speaking of the next phase of life, my husband and I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel over the weekend. In my opinion, it was a good one to stimulate thinking about "the next phase...."

Wishing more unexpected pleasures for you THIS week!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Isn't it nice when you can lay some old hurts to rest. I am so glad you had a great time and enjoyed the reunion. I loved seeing your pictures. I'd say it looked like everyone had a great time there. Hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful that you enjoyed the reunion so much. I know you are happy you went. Thanks for sharing the fun photos.

Maggid said...

Oh, how i enjoy this story. i think you are super brave to go - and I'm grateful for your happy report. I tend towards way too shy - (a well kept secret - and way, too true) - so, I was challenged to "join" activities when i was younger - and . . so many of my original chums are gone . . . I think I've only attended one reunion . . and - it was too dramatic for me - i returned home early and changed my career path because of it . . . SO - NOW you see, i understand your reluctance, applaud your bravery - and totally rejoice in the outcome. Holyoke!!!!! Wow! Shavous Tov!!! love & love, -g-

Ms Sparrow said...

I finally went to a HS class reunion when it was the 50th year. I felt like an outsider. I graduated from college at the age of 46, so I would be even more of an outsider at a college reunion. I'm so glad that you enjoyed yours!

Theresa said...

What a wonderful time:). I am so happy you went!!!!! Have a blessed week, hugs!

Cathyjo said...

So glad all work out ok.ooxx

Mimi said...

HOW WONDERFUL!!!
I knew you would have a great time....but it is always weird not knowing what to expect......But it seems like as we age, all that young nonsense flies out the door.....
SO glad you went and had a great time!!!And here's to your 50th and MORE reunions!!
hugs,
jamie

Lynda said...

Excellent report on your reunion! Going with low expectations helps a person not to be disappointed. If things go better than anticipated, then it's all a bonus. Does each class have a color? Our older daughter attended Wesleyan for Women and there were four colors - - red, yellow, green, and purple. The colors were always in the same sequence. When you enrolled as a freshman, you received the color of the class that had just graduated.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

What a special time full of happy moments. The photos are wonderful! Everyone looks like they are having a great time!

Mevely317 said...

Oh, I'm sorry to learn your close friends "moved on"! It's always hurtful when those we care about don't share our enthusiasm.

BUT!!!, I'm so tickled to learn the trip was a success! :) The campus looks lovely.

No expectations, hmmm? I need to try that, and quit setting myself up for disappointment.

Nellie said...

It is good to hear that you enjoyed the week-end. I return to my college at least twice a year, and we will have our 50th reunion this October!

Jemi Fraser said...

That's so wonderful! I'm glad you went and had such a good time!! Meeting both old and new friends is such joy :)

Yannie said...

Mount Holyoke College has very wonderful event every year and you have fun.

Petronela said...

I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Creative Blogger award :), that;s because I really like your blog.

Plumrose Lane said...

What a lovely event to participate in ~ you simply can't help but feel appreciative & supportive!
♥Sharon

Petro said...

Congratulations on your Creative award!

xoxo

Nancy said...

So glad it worked out well. :)

Susie said...

Buttercup, So glad you had a swell time. Just wish I could have gone myself. :):) Smiles, Susie