Powered by Blogger.

I Love the Night Life (7)

On Friday night I had the good fortune to see the play, "Ruined." This year's Pulitzer Prize for drama, it's set in the Congo and tells the story of people trying to survive in a terrible situation. The acting was superb, and despite the tragic background and events it's a hopeful play. I saw it as a benefit for a terrific group, "Women to Women International" and had the an opportunity after the play to hear the author, Lynn Nottage, and members of the cast discuss the play. Women to Women does terrific work around the world supporting women in areas that have been affected by civil war and unrest.
I think that's my play going for this season. There's nothing else on the horizon right now. It's been a terrific season. From a small New England town in "Our Town" to a bar in the Congo in "Ruined" I feel that I've seen the world and had my world changed without even leaving New York.

4 comments

blushing rose said...

My husband has traveled world wide over the years & said Africa was the hardest place to visit because of the terrible conditions people have to endure, then India & China secondly. He continues to tell everyone we cannot know how blessed we are in this country (let's hope that it stays that way).

Glad you enjoyed Ruined. TTFN ~Marydon

Robyn Campbell said...

Wow! I wish I could have seen it with you. I can only imagine the atrocities that these people endure on a daily basis. Thanks for telling us about the play. :0)

Chatty Crone said...

Geeezh - you live in such a wonderful place - full of life and living and get to see so many wonderful things! Lucky gal.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Are you going to take the summer off and then go to the new crop of plays in the autumn? So many interesting theatrical offerings in New York!