Powered by Blogger.

(Almost) Welcome 5783

 

Why are these challahs different from most other challahs?

Challah is the traditional bread eaten for Jewish holiday and Sabbath meals. It's of Eastern European origin and is one of a number of similar breads in the region. In this case, similar means braided and the braided challah is the more familiar shape. But at Rosh Hashanah, the round challah graces our table. 

Why round? Until I began this post I hadn't thought about the difference in the shape of challahs for the new year. But once again, one can keep learning. I read a number of articles about this and these are my thoughts. The round shape symbolizes the circle of life, as we go from one year to the next. The raisins symbolize a wish for sweetness in the year ahead. Among the Jews of Eastern Europe honey and apples, also sweet and something that could be readily found are also symbols of a sweet year ahead.  

Monday at this time, 5782 will be history and the celebration of 5783 will have begun. This year I will attend services in person, pray, spend time with people I love and reflect on the year past. 
 
One thing I especially want to do in the hours ahead is pray for my family and friends around the world. I started asking for prayer requests in Buttercupland several years ago and have now extended this to my friends on Facebook. I have been touched and honored to be the recipient of dozens of requests over the  years. No request is too small. Our services are long and my mind does wander over the hours spent in the next two weeks. Praying for others gives me focus and connection.  
 
My first prayer, as it is every year, is peace in the world and especially in Ukraine.  My second prayer is good health for those near and dear. My third prayer is faith and strength to bear all that 5783 will hold.

My wish to all my dear Buttercupland friends is a sweet, happy and healthy new year. May we all be together in 5784. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and thank you for the gift of friendship. 
 
 

7 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love this! Thank you for your prayers and may God bless us with peace, health, strength and faith for the challenges of the new year!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy Rosh Hashana.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh my, I didn't realize it's that time of year already. Thanks for all your prayers. I'll be joining you in praying too. I love the customs of all at the holidays. They are all worth celebrating. I'm going to have to look for some Challah bread !

Jeanie said...

Shana Tova. And a very happy new year to you. (I never saw round Challah till a few days ago. Now I know why!)

Sandi said...

I have also heard it represents a crown. I just started making challah a few years ago.

Marcia said...

Happy New Year! Prayers needed for our country where individual rights are being restricted.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I never knew this info about challah. Thanks for sharing.
A sweet, happy, healthy New Year to you and your family as well.